General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 JCW Clutch issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Default 2010 JCW Clutch issues?

New member here. My wife has found a 2010 Mini - John Cooper Works she wants to get. After test driving the car and going over the details with the seller we are seriously considering purchasing the car. When asking for details about the car there were no real issues, except...the seller produced paper work where the Mini dealer had replaced the clutch at around 8K miles. He explained that Mini had a problem with premature failure of the clutch in some of the 2010 cars. Apparently he brought his car in for a regular service and mentioned the clutch was "acting funny". To which the service manager told him that they would check it out for a problem that Mini was aware of....long story short , per the seller's receipts from the dealership, the dealership replaced the clutch, throw out bearing, etc. at no charge, supposedly with improved parts that would correct the issue of premature failure. Can anyone expound upon the details of the issue and the correction(s) Mini apparently preformed? TIA from soon to be newbie Mini owners. Tim

Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 PM

there is no improved part yet. the parts were replaced with what came in it originally.
mini is aware that they are using too small of a clutch, but have not begun to replace with an improved part. we only provide customer with 1 clutch replacement under warranty, depending on how the customer drives.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by IHATEMINIS
mini is aware that they are using too small of a clutch, but have not begun to replace with an improved part. we only provide customer with 1 clutch replacement under warranty, depending on how the customer drives.

IHM, thanks for the response. In your response, when you say "we", am I to understand that you work for a Mini dealership or Mini Cooper in some capacity? And, when you say Mini is aware that the clutch is "too small" do you mean the clutch pressure plate to fly wheel contact surface area is not sufficient to transfer the HP/torque that is being generated without constant "slippage" which then leads to premature wear of the pressure plate and eventual wear/damage to the fly wheel. If that's the case then the logical assumption would be that a larger % of "S" and "JCW" models would be failing due to higher horses and torque specs...is this right? Or no?

BTW - we went ahead an purchased the JWC. The clutch was replaced by Mini at 8k miles. Car now has 16k miles and clutch feels tight and smooth.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:24 AM

yes i work for a dealership. bmw north america/mini cooper is aware of the issue of using too small of a clutch disc, which prematurely wears first which then in turn wipes out the dual mass flywheel. the cooper s models (n14 engine) virtually share the same clutch design as the cooper model (n12 engine) with the main difference being the dual mass flywheel. although the clutch design is under powered for the vechile alot does have to do with the driver as well. hope your jcw works well for you. MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE OIL REGULARLY!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM

OK, you say the Mini clutch is "too small"... meaning not enough clutch disc surface to fly wheel surface area to handle the torque generated by average to "spirited" driving = too much slippage = tendency for clutch contact surfaces to wear out prematurely. Right?

That being the case, if someone has to replace the clutch assembly, wouldn't it make sense to install a Stage 2 "street/track" after-market clutch assembly with stronger, more durable "wear" components? Even a good Stage 1 "sport clutch" kit up-grade seems like a better option over
just re-installing the same stock parts. Wouldn't that take care of the problem? I've looked and there seems to be plenty of after-market up-grade options available...and at prices that are about the same or not much more in price than what the dealers are quoting for the OEM stock clutch kits. Seems like a no brainer..."Mr. Mini Dealer Sir, please give me credit for that stock clutch kit and I will provide you with a clutch kit to install." I know things don't always work like that at a dealership - but if this "too small clutch" is truly a "known problem" it's certainly seems like a reasonable request, and something I'd want done if I have to have the clutch replaced in the Mini JCW we just bought.

Anyway, I'd like to know your thoughts on going with a Stage 1 or Stage 2 clutch kit up-grade over a stock OEM replacement.

Thanks for your in put. I appreciate it.

Last edited by TimNC; 10-06-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM

They really need to change it!
you have the right to ask for a replacement on that sir!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM

The right to ask for a replacement on what?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:14 AM

I Hate Minis, glad to see you are back. Wonder if you would please share your opinion on my question from 10-06-11 above....if a Mini clutch assembly needs replacing, what about going with an after market Stage 1 or Stage 2 upgrade? Wouldn't more clamping power and longer lasting "wear" parts make sense rather than going with OEM parts if they are "too small" as you have stated? Thanks in advance for your opinon.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM

I Hate Minis ??? There are several stronger/loner wearing clutch assemblies available. Will installing one of them solve Mini's clutch issue? What do you think?

Originally Posted by TimNC
I Hate Minis, glad to see you are back. Wonder if you would please share your opinion on my question from 10-06-11 above....if a Mini clutch assembly needs replacing, what about going with an after market Stage 1 or Stage 2 upgrade? Wouldn't more clamping power and longer lasting "wear" parts make sense rather than going with OEM parts if they are "too small" as you have stated? Thanks in advance for your opinon.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 AM

In my opinion, an aftermarket clutch via a stage 1 or stage 2 wont necessarily solve the problem. The clutch itself is physically to small.
As a dealership, and a vechile under factory warranty, iam pretty sure we are not allowed to install aftermarket parts, for this ay void your warranty in the event of a failure of the clutch, and a failure of a related component (transmission, cv axles). A stage 1 or stage 2 clutch is designed to be driven agressively. Driving a vechile with a performance clutch as a daily driver can almost wear it out just as quick, daily driving and shifting 'nicely/smoothly' isnt necessarily good for a performance clutch.
I.e. You supply a performance clutch, we instal it. You go out and race it (whatever you do) and break a cv axle, or miss a shift and damage the transmission. That damange, will not be covered under mini warranty due to the fact you have non oem parts in the vechile. Does that make sense?
Now if ur car is out of warranty i think a dealership would be a little more willing to install a aftermarket clutch, with you knowing we are not responsible for anything after that. . . Hope that helps a little more

Quick Reply: 2010 JCW Clutch issues?