General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Mini Cooper won't turn over, Just Clicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 09:05 AM
Default 2010 Mini Cooper won't turn over, Just Clicks

2010 Mini Cooper Hatchback won't start... good battery, just clicks when I push the start button. I'm thinking the Immobilization has somehow engaged, or perhaps it is a bad starter. Could be the CAS module, I was wriggling and unplugging relays in the under hood fuse area, and not sure if this could have done it. I have been researching this, and someone else reoplaced the starter and it didn't fix the problem. I though it could have been the battery, but I charged it, and also jumped it with a good set of 8 ga. jumper cables, and no dice, still won't turn over... a plus is, my XENON headlights are now WORKING! I though the bus were bad, so I bought a couple from eBay, and they would come on, and then turn off after a few seconds when I installed them. Same as the old bulbs. Now, they come on and work fine! I have a 2024 LAUNCH X431 Elite 2.0 PRO scanner for BMW and MINIcoming tomorrow, and I will see if that will help diagnose the problem. After I replaced the intake and exhaust camshaft sensors, it ran really well, then set the misfire on cal 4 error again, I have new plugs, new coils, and new camshaft sensors. Next is the VANOS solenoids, I will pull and clean them, and then replace them if that doesn't work.
Any thoughts on the no start dilemma would be appreciated... the starter acts as though it is locked up. Not sure if the immobilization can be reset??
Charlie

Old 03-26-2024, 07:05 AM

Pulled the starter yesterday, boy was that top E12 bolt hard to remove! I'm thinking of getting Allen head bolts to replace those Bolts, as they round off very easily, as they were already before I wrenched on them.
The new starter will be in today, before 10pm, hopefully by 2pm, lol. I want to get it installed, and then put my flex pipe on.
I like my new LAUNCH V2.0 scan tool, it is very comprehensive. I purchased a new AGM battery also, as the one in it was a lead acid battery. Looking forward to more stuff, I have a manual coming, and I have a set of replacement LED bulbs for the Xenon, which started working!
Charlie

Old 03-30-2024, 07:55 AM

Starter is installed, replaced the E12 torx bolts with Allen head bolts, what an easy install with them. I highly recommend replacing all the E Torx bolts, including those on the VANOS solenoids with Allen bolts. MUCH easier to remove/replace as they hold on the hex bit or Allen wrench securely, unlike the E Torx bolts. I am going to reset the adaptations today with my LAUNCH scan tool.
Charlie