General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Mini R56 Rocker Arm on #4 cylinder Exhaust found laying behind the cam!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 08:21 AM
Default 2010 Mini R56 Rocker Arm on #4 cylinder Exhaust found laying behind the cam!!

Well, I removed the valve cover to replace it with one off of a 2007, and a sharp eyed fellow on the FB group spotted an exhaust rocker arm laying behind the exhaust cam. This is on the #4 cylinder. I have ordered an intake and exhaust rocker, and also an exhaust lifter to replace the rocker, and get it running. Any idea why it popped off?? the valve appears closed, and it was checked for compression by the shop that I got the car from. All 4 cylinders built compression, so I do not think the valve seat dropped, as it usually wedges the valve open, and there would not be compression on that cylinder...
The cam chain and guides look good, I bent the guide, and it did not appear to be brittle, so it was changed before, I'm sure. Chain looks good, too. I did purchase a new timing cam chain kit, and it came with the new style longer tensioner, too. I may pull the tensioner that is installed, and check the length and function of the tensioner also. Anyway, I'm making progress in the mechanical area of this car.
Charlie