General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2011 MINI Cooper S Battery/Ignition Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Default 2011 MINI Cooper S Battery/Ignition Issues

Hi Everyone,

I'm having issues with my 2011 Mini Cooper S hardtop. My car has been at the MINI dealer 4 times now with no avail. Each time it seems like my battery just goes dead or so it seems. The first time it happened, it was pretty apparent that the battery was having issues, each time I went to start the car it seemed a little sluggish to turn over. So I got a jump, took it to the dealer and the dealer replaced the battery. The second time, I was out running errands. The car sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes, I came out to start the car, the car was dead, needed a jump. Took the car to the dealer, they thought it was the computer, but since it wasn't substantiated enough, MINI wouldn't authorize the replacement. Battery was good so they didn't replace it. So after a week or so I got my car back, no fix. The day after I picked up my car from the dealer, in the morning, again, car is dead. The car won't turn over, but everything else seems to come on fine, interior lights, radio, etc. Threw on the quick charger and sure enough, battery was down. Short while after, car started and took it back to MINI. No fix as the diagnostics showed that everything checked out okay. Got the car back again after a week, which was this past Wednesday. No issues starting or anything. Drove it home with hopes that it would survive at least a few days, but no luck. Next morning on Thursday, again the car wouldn't start. This time I heard a light static sound coming from the speakers and everything else was fine, lights, windows, etc. Not sure if speakers are the issue, maybe they're staying on and drawing down the battery. Well, here's the kicker..... This morning, Monday, got in the car and it started, no problems. I didn't charge the battery or anything. It's weird and has me wondering if it's now an ignition or starter issue. Has anyone had any issues like this with their MINI's? I'm getting frustrated by the whole thing. Any ideas will certainly help. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Default Was the car new???

If you bought the car new, I'd check into your States "lemon law". Typically,most "lemon laws" state that the manufacturer is allowed 3 times to fix a reoccurring problem and if unsuccessful, they must buy the vehicle back. If this issue continues with no fix from mini, I'd be checking things our with a lawyer.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Default Battery problem too!

I have had my 2011 MINI Cooper S since June.

I had a huge scare with my MINI yesterday. The battery was drained and I had to call my roadside assistance. They had a hard time charging it and when it finally did told me to take it to the dealership just to make sure nothing else was wrong with electrical components. SouthBay MINI just called me and said that they ran a diagnosis and it says that the lights were left on. Now I know I am conscious about that sort of stuff and on Sunday my car was running perfect.

They want to charge a $199 diagnosis fee

Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM

Finally got the car back today.... I was betting the culprit would be either the immobilizer or the starter, but they said the clutch switch was loose. They said it could cause intermittent issues with starting the car and that my first occurrence with all of this was probably a dead battery. Guess I'll see in the morning when I attempt to leave for work if my car will start. Thank you RSchleder for the recommendation. Arizona does have a lemon law, but you have to go through four failed attempts at resolving the problem before you can use it. This last service is appointment is number four, if it happens again, I plan on pursuing it.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Adding a DIY link for anyone new to changing their MINI's battery and battery tender: Pelican Technical Article: MINI Cooper - Battery Replacement and Battery Tender Installation

-Jorge