General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 countryman s

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Default 2012 countryman s

Engine light has been on/off and car runs good for past 8 weeks. Dealer has had the car twice, currently in shop trying to diagnose. Lean fuel mixture is what they say yet can't pin point the area to repair. All sensors checked, injectors cleaned ( they say twice) smoke tested 2x etc. Now they want to replace the injectors with no guarantee the light will go off, 88000 miles , 90% highway with regular maintenance. Anyone been there? Suggestions? Warranty is long gone. I just feel the dealer has been diagnosing to builds up some $$, so they can tell me its $2400 for injectors or $1000 for diagnostics which solved nothing to take the car with the light still on. If anyone has insight or who to call I would appreciate it.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 AM

What are the exact P codes they pulled from the system? The dealership tends to just throw parts at a problem without fully diagnosing the issue. Get me those codes and give me detail about the symptoms you're noticing.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Default codes

when I find out I will so far they are keeping their mouth shut.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:24 PM

Another idea is you can tell the dealer to stop and then use this site here: Mini Cooper Repair Shops - Find a Mini Cooper Mechanic | MiniRepairShops to find a local MINI indy shop that specializes in MINI's. They would diagnose the issue before throwing parts at it.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:31 PM

I have an independent PERFORMANCE CARS OF STAMFORD waiting in the wings but that is a great site thanks

Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Default code

2BC0 is the code. Dealer was extremely thorough and really wanted to fix it, spoke with tech who worked on car and he was frustrated. They did everything you could think of and final recommendation was new injectors but could not promise that would turn off the light. The injectors were totally cleaned and the car runs great however he said the internals could be worn a little and throwing the light if it was under warranty they would replace. I have a 2012 Countryman S and if I bought new injectors and whatever extra I need what would it cost? Do I need to worry about using a brand other than "MINI" from he dealer? They are very expensive.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:24 AM

Might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion before replacing parts. I just don't see how all 4 injectors would be a problem. Otherwise, giving a quick scan of the Bentley Manual I didn't see 2B0C so possibly ask them for the associated P code with that one.

For fuel injectors, you could go with Genuine MINI or the OEM supplier brand is Bosch. Either are sufficient replacements.

Fuel Injectors here: 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman S Hatchback - Fuel Injection - Page 1. You will need 4 of them. You could have an independent shop install them for you so you could ask them what labor cost would be if you brought the parts.

Let me know what you find out or decide to do.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:31 AM

Code was 2BC0...you typed in 2B0C. Will let you know.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Ah yes, dyslexic hah.

P0171 0x2BC0 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Possible Causes
Air Mass Sensor defective
Intake System Leak(s)

Possible Solutions
Check Air Mass Sensor
Check Fuel Pressure Regulation
Check Fuel Pump
Check Injectors
Check Intake System for Leaks
Check Exhaust System for Leaks
Check Secondary Air System for Leaks
Check Vacuum Pipes for Leaks

It seems they've definitely covered their grounds on what I would have done first, which is smoke test and clean sensors. It could be a fuel problem or a possible exhaust leak.