General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

5-2-2011 power steering motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Default 5-2-2011 power steering motor

I have had my 2002 mini s for two years and all in all its been trouble free.A month ago I replaced the power steering motor-pump assembly as it was running continuously, even with the key off. I did this after some internet research. Ran great for a couple hundred miles and now the steering unit is not working at all.I have a shop manual as I like doing these things myself, and have checked all the different fuses that are associated with it. I have also removed the cooling fan and made shure my connections had not come apart on the steering pump motor. Still nothing; can anyone shed some light on my problem as its hard to steer this thing without power assist.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked for POWER to the motor ? You say fuses ect If you have power to the motor and it's not running the Motor died

Old 08-06-2011, 12:46 PM

replaced power steer unit again and all is fine with steering,bad rebuild.Now my little cooper is running alittle sluggish. Engine does not rev very fast now and at a steady throttle it lunges ahead back and forth.About 7 lbs of boost on s-charger guage at full throttle. Did a pluge and wire change but that did not help. The fuel fillter is on pump so can't really change easily,don't have anyone in my area that can hook up to it to diagnose so i'm at my end. any ideas ???

Old 08-25-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by billburleson
I have had my 2002 mini s for two years and all in all its been trouble free.A month ago I replaced the power steering motor-pump assembly as it was running continuously, even with the key off. I did this after some internet research. Ran great for a couple hundred miles and now the steering unit is not working at all.I have a shop manual as I like doing these things myself, and have checked all the different fuses that are associated with it. I have also removed the cooling fan and made shure my connections had not come apart on the steering pump motor. Still nothing; can anyone shed some light on my problem as its hard to steer this thing without power assist.
I have the same issue with the exception that my PS pump motor was on for sooo long it almost caused a fire. Toasted the + section of the power connector to the pump as well as baking the power contact into the fuse box in the engine bay. I had a refurbished pump from BBA installed and 200 miles later the PS pump motor was on again and finally died. This will be my 3rd pump under BBA warranty hopefully the 2nd was a bad rebuild.
Currently I have the PS pump + connector to the fuse box disconnected so I can drive it until I can remove the pump. I know, I can't believe how tough it is to turn the wheel with no power steering...look at it like it's a workout for the forearms.