General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ask a MINI tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Ask a MINI tech

Hello Everybody,

I'm Alan of LAAutoReferral.com, my website is an automotive referral site based in Los Angeles.
We have articles, forums and soon a blog all about anything automotive.
Since we are a referral site, is there anyone who is in the LA area who has a high quality shop you would recommend?
I have a shop on my website in Pomona, CA called Taylor Co BMW MINI. They do great work and I would highly recommend them to any MINI owner.
Go to my website and take a look. www.laautoreferral.com

Old 07-20-2008, 03:56 PM

hi,
i don't see how i can send a pm message, so i am an automotive tech in canada on foreign cars, with several scanners, i am looking for factory training material on mini cooper, from canada we cannot log on to bmw web site , no right to repair law here, so i cannot buy factory training material for mini and bmw , may be you can help me .. is it possible to send you a private message...

thanks

Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM

Is this something you're looking for?
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=mc06

Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Sorry guys i have been busy. if nyone has any questions please PM me i will answer back. i know some of you think that i am faking, i'm not. i am here to help out as much as i can.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Hi All,
I am new to the site, I have a 2003 Mini Cooper Hatchback, and I love my Mini!!
I have a problem that just started this weekend, when I stop the car; turn off the ignition there is a continuous electrical humming sound coming from under the engine. I raised the car and think it may have something to do with the generator. I have to disconnect the battery to stop it from running.
Any one else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Public apology to Mimiofanapolis.Thanks for the nice detailed PM re the Key ID issue. It was basically what the salesman was telling me to do except he had the door open so I could see what he was doing, thus negating everything he did. The other key turned out to be faulty , which Sterling replaced (and coded) in a timely manner. Now, if I could just get those damn airbag decals off.....

Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: wifesmainwrench

Public apology to Mimiofanapolis.Thanks for the nice detailed PM re the Key ID issue. It was basically what the salesman was telling me to do except he had the door open so I could see what he was doing, thus negating everything he did. The other key turned out to be faulty , which Sterling replaced (and coded) in a timely manner. Now, if I could just get those damn airbag decals off.....
Thank you, i am here to help you all out. i know these cars well and know that can present problems. i am now regularly checking the board, so feel free to post or PM me.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Default RE: Ask a MINI tech, closed door

Mr. Tech....... Here is one....... at my father-in-laws wedding this weekend...... someone was monkeying around with my 2004. Now.... the passenger side door will not open...... the locking mechanism appears to work fine, at least the **** moves up and down and you can hear the linkage moving. But the door is locked shut. The interior handle pulls out fully but with not resistance,,,,,,,,, and the exterior handle does not appear to be fully retracted....... leading me to believe the cluprit probably horqued on the exterior handle until something bent or broke.i.e. maybe the linkage to the Jamb Catch.
I have repaired many of my vehicles window linkage etc. but access to the interior linkage is through the interior cover panel...... and I don't think I can get the panel off with the door in the closed position........
Can you give me an idea of how to open the door or get the panel off???
Any assistance is sincerely appreciated...
C

Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Default RE: Ask a MINI tech, closed door

^^^^^^^^^^PMed you sir^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Thank you for your offer to help.

I have a 2005 MCS, 6-speed manual, bought used at 34,000 miles; now 37,500 miles. The mpg has never been better than 25, no matter what speed or how hard/easy I drive it.

At 34,500 miles, I had allfluids, lubricants, belts, hoses, and filters replaced. Also had the cat replaced due to a rattle. The dealer did a complete diag, and found nothing wrong.

One reason I bought this car was the expected decent fuel economy. I have a 2002 BMW 530i, 5-speed manual, that gives 30mpg at 65 mph on highway. This Mini is disappointing.

Any help yo can offer would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Ask a MINI tech