General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bypass Valve replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Default Bypass Valve replacement

Hi,

A few weeks ago I asked some questions here about my 03 MC-S acting sluggish below 3.5rpm's. The overwhelming result from this forum and after googling others, is that my bypass valve needs to be replaced due to BMWUSA's crappy springs.

I've found the part online, but I'm wondering about how difficult the job would be.

The part is located under the elbow pipe coming out of the intercooler output, so I'm sure I would need to replace rubber rings and whatnot.

Does anyone have any experience with this? and/or could direct me to instructional videos/articles and all the proper parts?

Thanks so much!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM

It's pretty easy, just remove the intercooler output air duct by removing the 3 air duct fasteners from the intake manifold and remove the duct. Cover up any holes with towels to prevent anything from falling into the engine. Also make sure to replace the two o-ring seals on the bypass valve.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
It's pretty easy, just remove the intercooler output air duct by removing the 3 air duct fasteners from the intake manifold and remove the duct. Cover up any holes with towels to prevent anything from falling into the engine. Also make sure to replace the two o-ring seals on the bypass valve.
awesome thank you so much! could you please post a link where I can buy the o-rings from you? I want to make sure I'm getting the right ones. thanks!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by artofjosh
awesome thank you so much! could you please post a link where I can buy the o-rings from you? I want to make sure I'm getting the right ones. thanks!
Our bypass valves should already include the o-rings required.