General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch and brake issues 2009 Clubman JCW

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Default Clutch and brake issues 2009 Clubman JCW

I just joined the forums as my wife owns a 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works and she's having problems with the brakes and clutch. I originally thought the two may be connected since I thought they shared a common reservoir for the clutch but after a quick look, I'm not sure this is the case because the fluid reservoir is full and the mini doesn't use the fluid level to indicate brake wear.

The brakes simply need to be replaced. The front pads are worn and the mini-on-a-lift indicator as well as red BRAKE indicator are both on which means one of the sensors has been tripped. I found the procedure for resetting the sensor on a 2007 but don't know if this is the same for a 2009. I also don't know if I need to purchase the replacement sensor wire separate from the pads or if it's typically included.

The clutch is more troubling. A couple days ago, my wife noticed that if she got off the gas and back on, that the engine would rev and the car not accelerate. It did it to me when I was driving the car yesterday and today (unlike yesterday) when I drove it, the friction zone for the clutch is really high, like the top 1/4 of the pedal travel instead of the lower 1/3rd where I'm used to it. Normally, I would say that this clutch needs to be replaced but the car has 76,000 miles and really shouldn't need a clutch this soon, should it? Would the change in the pedal be that drastic in such a small amount of driving time?

To add to all of this, the thing is leaking coolant from the passenger side which seems to indicate that the water pump needs to be replaced.

So a couple questions. Is there some way to check the clutch before taking the whole car apart? Does the engine have to come out to replace the clutch? Does the water pump need to be done from under the car?

FYI, I'm not a mechanic (obviously) but I've replaced the engine in my truck, replaced head gaskets, done top end rebuilds and even fabricated a dual 4-link suspension for my Jeep so I have the skills and tools for the job, except for a lift.

Thanks in advance for any help.