General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Default DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Anyone has instructions on how to change transmission fluid oil? Picture of where the 'release' bolt is would be nice.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Automatic or manual ???

Old 10-16-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
Automatic or manual ???

manual. i have the 2002 Cooper S. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any pictures, but I can walk you through it a bit. put the car on jack stands and try to get it level. Remove the driver side front wheel. On the tranny, there are 2 drain bolts. The top one is the fill, the bottom is the drain. Remove the top bolt, then the bottom one with a pan under it. It's best to do it with the tranny hot, so make sure you don't get burned. It will come out like a dam breaking! so be careful. Then put the bottom bolt back on. Filling was a bit tricky as you are pouring fluid into the side of a relatively flat vertical surface with very little space. I used a 3 ft piece of thin clear tubing connected to a funnel. Insert end of tube into top hole, have someone pour fluid into funnel while you hold the tube in place. If the tube is in too far, it may be blocked by transmission parts. If it is not in enough, it will leak. It pours really slow, but it's much easier this way. When the fluid starts coming out of the top hole, then put the top bolt back in and you're done. Pretty easy, just a bit awkward because of limited space.

Good luck. Remember to drive slow for a couple of minutes after the change to make sure everything is lubed up before putting stress on the tranny. Any more questions, let me know.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
I don't have any pictures, but I can walk you through it a bit. put the car on jack stands and try to get it level. Remove the driver side front wheel. On the tranny, there are 2 drain bolts. The top one is the fill, the bottom is the drain. Remove the top bolt, then the bottom one with a pan under it. It's best to do it with the tranny hot, so make sure you don't get burned. It will come out like a dam breaking! so be careful. Then put the bottom bolt back on. Filling was a bit tricky as you are pouring fluid into the side of a relatively flat vertical surface with very little space. I used a 3 ft piece of thin clear tubing connected to a funnel. Insert end of tube into top hole, have someone pour fluid into funnel while you hold the tube in place. If the tube is in too far, it may be blocked by transmission parts. If it is not in enough, it will leak. It pours really slow, but it's much easier this way. When the fluid starts coming out of the top hole, then put the top bolt back in and you're done. Pretty easy, just a bit awkward because of limited space.

Good luck. Remember to drive slow for a couple of minutes after the change to make sure everything is lubed up before putting stress on the tranny. Any more questions, let me know.
Thank you very much Bad Venge! I did the fluid change on my previous Honda before, so this should be pretty simple now that i know where the drain bolt is! :-)

Btw, what tranny fluid would you recommend? I called BMW and they only sell bulk quantity; no liter size. They quoted me $250 just the fluid alone! So just wondering what aftermarket fluid is compatible for the Mini.

Thank you.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I used theirs as it's still in warranty ...