General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine noise at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Default Engine noise at idle

Hi All

I have an 08 Cooper S and it rattles at idle. I can hear lifter noise but it disappears at above idle rpm/speeds. I am just wondering if any of you have similiar sounds?

Are the lifters hydraulic or mech? Is adjustment required?

pete

Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Unhappy Anyone here?

I guess no one has heard any valve train noise? I made an appointment today to bring the car in to the dealer to let them listen to the rattling. Sounds bad on cold start, can't imagine what would happen at 20-30 below zero. Glad I bought this for fun and don't drive it in the winter, but I am not happy about this noise. I have followed the dealer recommended service plan. I also asked on another thread about aftermarket oil others may be using as I called Castrol and they have no recommended oil available in Canada except the OEM. I would like to change my oil much more often than recommended so I hope this is just a valve lash adjustment and away I go.

I will let you know what happens. Hope it's not like the trans noise and they want to replace the whole engine, or maybe, yeah what the hell gimme a new engine and I will trade this sucker quick.

Not impressed with the MINI sofar.

pete

Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Default Tsb

The dealer says there is a TSB about engine valve train noise and I have to leave the car for a cold weather start-up.

Trying to arrange the date now, will let you know what happens.

Anywhere to find what other TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) are out there?

pete

Old 11-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Hi Done Swimmin,

I haven't heard valve train noise, but I have a knocking noise at idle as well. When I depress the clutch, it stops.

Do you think my clutch is on the way out, or maybe just an adjustment?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Default Update

Hi All

Picked the car up today, sounds good so far. They replaced the timing chain, sprockets and tensioners.

Hope this is the last repair for a while. 2 years left in warranty.

pete

P.S. 04minis
Not sure what would be a knocking noise that goes away on clutch pedal depression, sorry.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 AM
Angry Rattle Timing Belt Chain Tensioners Engine Problems

Hello! I own a 2009 S and got the shocking news yesterday that after my service at 48,000 miles (where they replaced and cleaned my valves) that my MINI has to have a new timing belt, timing chain and removal of "excessive" carbon. My car now has 52,000 miles, is no longer under warranty and I'm out $2,900.00!! My MINI has constantly been in the shop. At 5,000 miles the dealership had it 19, yes 19 days for an issue with the computer chip. Then four other times for various engine problems. They blamed it on not using Premium gas WITH detergents, so I switched 4,000 miles ago to only Shell Techtron. Now they are telling me my timing issue is due to the 10% ethanol added to American gas! They told me I now have to drive to one of 3 stations who use no ethanol! My questions are: should this be happening at 52,000 miles and is their truth to this gas issue when I've constantly had engine troubles??? My trust is at an all time low, and while I love my MINI I'm now afraid to drive it because of more engine problems and it's ruining my MINI and dealership experiences.