General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine stalls - crank position sensor, how do I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Default Engine stalls - crank position sensor, how do I replace?

my wife's R52 has been stalling intermittently. After stalling, the engine occassionally will not restart. I checked the trouble codes and the scan resulted in these codes: P1106 and P1239 both MAP codes. However, after unplugging these sensors and having no change, I noticed that when the engine will not restart, the tach reads zero while cranking which suggests to me that there is a problem with the crank sensor.

So, I've ordered another from MINI and now, I'm trying to remove the old sensor. It is about half way from the top and bottom of the engine but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to access it either way. Anyone have any suggestions? Remove the airbox (accessing the CPS from the top)? Take the AC compressor loose (accessing the CPS from the bottom)? any other way?

I'd like to get her back on the road without having to remove the front end!

Thanks!
Scott

Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Got that puppy outta there. Nothing fancy, just needed to scrape some flesh from my left arm so I could squeeze between the AC compressor lines and the radiator fan to get on that little 8mm bolt. So, the part is waiting for me at work and hopefully the install will go smoothly now that I know how to squeeze in there and the MINI will be back on the road Monday night! Let you know how it goes.

ps-I pulled that factory clamp off the duct work to the airbox so I could check the condition of the air filter and was very glad I did - it was gross and extremely dirty. If you haven't had your air filter checked recently, I recommend prying that factory clamp off with a little screwdriver and pulling off the top of the airbox to take a look. Either way, by replacing that factory clamp with a cam-style one will simplify the job for the future and enable the driver to keep a closer eye on the condition of that important filter. I'll post pics of this soon.