General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Flywheel ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Default Flywheel ????

I have a 07 Mini S 6speed when idleing it has a raddle. However when I push on the clutch pedel ever so slightly the raddle goes away. I thought it was a throw out bearing however Hendrick Mini says I need a flywheel. I just had the complete engine replaced due to oil consumption at 49k. and I now have 51k its been making the noise ever since they replaced the engine. I'm not real confident with the techs at this dealership. Why didnt they replace it when the engine was out for 4 weeks. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Well it sounds to me that your right with the throwout bearing. Any other Mini dealerships near you,or try and find a shop that works on BMW or Minis. Take them for a test drive, let them listen to what you hear. The flywheels are pretty tough on these cars, but if your hard on the clutch...well that's a different story. I work on German cars(Mini my fav), well I hoped this helps

Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM

The dual mass flywheel on the n14 engines are just as bad as the clutches that are in them. There would be no reason they would replace the clutch and flywheel under warranty if there was never an intial complaint about it, or if the parts looked bad. At 49k im only going to assume there had been a clutch done previously in its lifetime and the flywheel was not replaced. We dont 'machine' our flywheels like some manufactors do. Unfortunately in alot of cases mini wont let us replace the flywheels if they visually look okay, we just clean the flywheel with a scotch bright disc. I have seen this cause a ratteling issue that you are describing. Always check you oil level, minis use alot of oil!!