General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HEADLIGHTS WONT WORK (Bi-XENON)! HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Exclamation HEADLIGHTS WONT WORK (Bi-XENON)! HELP PLEASE

Ok so I just picked up a beautiful 2007 mini cooper S. I was able to strike a deal with the dealer because upon inspection we discovered the headlights would not turn on.

That being said, I've now been trying to investigate possible reasons for the problem and come up with a solution. Here's what I have so far

Car: 2007 mini cooper S (R56)
Bi-Xenon HIDs (D1s bulb)

I have

-Bulbs is good, (switched it out in my brothers range rover and it worked)
-All fuses seem to be in order (check them all, although had difficulty identifying the headlamp fuses, Pictures on the fuse cover did me no good)
-head light motor works (auto leveling)
-turn signals work
-There's a headlight error code that shows up on the cluster in the diagnostic LCD screen

Any ideas? Both headlights are not turning on btw, which leads me to believe the problem lies within something thats common between the two sides

Please any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-14-2020, 02:14 AM
Default Having the same issue

Did you ever figure out how to fix the problem?

Old 11-10-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Castro
Did you ever figure out how to fix the problem?
hi..did you figure out the root cause? I’m having the same symptoms. 2011 Mini Cooper s

Old 11-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Platinum Sponsor

Relay or fuse. i would also check the wires running to the headlight,

Sometimes the plug going to them is common to fail.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:44 PM

Anyone ever solve this?
I have a 2013 R60 countryman S All4 w/ bi-xenons and i have replaced the control unit twice thinking the first one went bad, as it worked for about a month - then went dead - second one did the same thing. Same bulb in it - same results. this is the right side only pssngr - drivere side has no issues. pulled driver side control unit over to right and put new control until in left (drvr) and driver side works fine - but right pssngr side went out.
Had amechanic look at it twice now - he is not sure whats going on. Dealership said replace the entire unit all the guts - but the turn signal and all work.
Thinking something in the wiring on that side - harnesses? plugs?
Any help you can lend - Much appreciated. Just dont have a great picture of the blow schematics to know what is going where - if you have a link to one of those - thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:43 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Do you have aftermarket bulbs? What brand control unit?

Old 07-09-2023, 07:27 PM

The bulbs are the same as I had in there - nothing changed there - and I did test swapping them to the drivers side and it worked there.
The control unit - is a BMW OEM controller - not aftermarket. - and as I mentioned in previous thread - I also swapped the working control unit from the driver side and it did work in the passenger for a few days, but went out.
Another thing that I've had done was the timing chain. I brought it to a shop since I don't have the means in my garage to tackle that size job. I also had the mechanic replace all the seals on the engine since most of it would have been torn down.
Regardless, after he did the timing chain is when i started having issues with the light. He did take the light housing off the car - I stopped by a couple times to check progress and he had the fender, light assembly and most of that side off the car.
He said he didn't touch the wiring and it couldn't be pinched and I don't see that it is form the top, but I am wondering if I am missing something simple.
Thanks for the help

Old 07-10-2023, 09:09 AM
Platinum Sponsor

I would say wiring or a connection at the headlight or harness since the engine was worked on.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Smile

Thank you - will dive into wiring.