General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! Mini Cooper won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Default Help! Mini Cooper won't start

Here's the background. For a month or so, I would be driving and the power steering would occasionally freeze up and become hard as a rock to turn. The other day, the car started overheating, so I towed it home. The battery light was on. The battery is only 2 months old. I checked and there was no belt. Took it to Firestone, they put a new belt on, it started right up and drove it home. Next day I try to start it, zero power in the car. I try to jump, I get power but it won't start. Just clicks. Tried waiting a few minutes to let it charge. What could this be? Is it possible the battery is bad now after 2 months??

Old 05-01-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by maffei34
Here's the background. For a month or so, I would be driving and the power steering would occasionally freeze up and become hard as a rock to turn. The other day, the car started overheating, so I towed it home. The battery light was on. The battery is only 2 months old. I checked and there was no belt. Took it to Firestone, they put a new belt on, it started right up and drove it home. Next day I try to start it, zero power in the car. I try to jump, I get power but it won't start. Just clicks. Tried waiting a few minutes to let it charge. What could this be? Is it possible the battery is bad now after 2 months??
What drive belt was replaced?

Check battery with volt meter. Check battery terminals. Take battery back get a new one.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:26 PM

First, what year and model MINI do you have? Assuming it's a first gen, turn on the AC, do you see the power steering fan run? There is an actual recall out for the p/s pump as those are prone to fail on the 1st gen MINI's. Typically, when you have the battery light on and the power steering issue you could have a bad alternator. When the car is running, the alternator should be outputting anywhere from about 12.5 volts to about 14.5 volts. If you don't see any significant change in the voltage after you start up the car, then your alternator could be faulty.