General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hood stripe burned by turbo heat??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Default Hood stripe burned by turbo heat??

Hi, new here. I'll go introduce myself in the other thread shortly.

Just bought a 2011 S, very low mileage, from a large reputable used car dealer. It's black with what I now know to be aftermarket lime green hood stripes. At first sight, all was clean. After a test drive and clean up before they handed me the keys, I noticed a brown stain on the stripe near the hood scoop (two 5 1/2 inch stripes down the middle of hood and rear hatch just like the factory scheme).

Long story short, we determined they weren't factory stripes. They want to make it good, options were to remove stripes and just keep it all black or re-stripe it with actual MINI stripes. Color choices were black, white, or red. I'm choosing red, but I'll sure miss the green (but I'll have a Georgia Bulldog car!!)

Questions:
1. Anyone heard of or seen this before? As mentioned, MINI uses this same design on many hoods and apparently the turbo isn't cooking THOSE stripes. We're all assuming the actual MINI striping will be of higher quality.

2. There's not supposed to be any kind of heat shield on the underside of the hood, is there?

3. If I believe there STILL might be a problem with the red stripes, should I have them put on the outside of the washer jets, angled, like I've seen the other striping scheme? This probably just boils down to personal choice.

Thanks!!!!
Dave

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

there is some heat sheilding around the factory turbo , and should be a fire blanket under the hood.

Some of the cheap vinyls are more prone to heat damage

You might want to attach some reflective heat blanketing (available from dynamat) if your concerned