General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

iPhones and Minis

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Default iPhones and Minis

I have a 2009 Cooper with Bluetooth, etc. I bought an iPhone 3gand am heartbroken that I cannot plug it into my USB and have my phone work and the iPod too. (I realize that the music must turn off when the phone rings I'm not talking about that.)The airplane mode can't turn off in order to have phone and music. The Apple Genius Bar guy told me that there might be an after-market cord for Minis that will turn offthe airplane mode. Does anyone know? Or has anyone figured out a way around this? I was trying to avoid having to have my regular iPod in my car along with my iPhone. Kinda defeats the purpose of the iPhone otherwise. Thanks for your help!
Gigi

Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: iPhones and Minis

I'm not following did the bluetooth pair up ??? and you can't get the Audio/music to work??? Or is it just not charging ???

My MA sent me the following message today:

This DCS message is directed to all BMW centers and MINI dealers with regards to charging the latest generation iPhone 3G, iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPod Classic with the accessory iPod interface.
With the new line up of Apple devices, Apple switched from a (12 volt) FireWire charging protocol to (5 volt) USB, causing the devices to display the following error message:
"Accessory not made to work with iPhone" or "charging not supported"
We are aware of the issue and have started development of a new interface cable with an inline 12- 5 volt converter. The new cables are currently undergoing approval at Apple and will be available Q1 2009.
As these devices were create well after the development of the our interface it was unable for us to anticipate this issue.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM

Sorry. I didn't explain myself very well in my initial post. I can synch my iPhone with my car's BTno problem.

My Cooper came with an iPod cable that plugs into the Aux jack and the USB port. When I have a regular iPod plugged in, I can control the iPod with the buttons on my steering wheel and on the dash console. It will also chargethe regular iPod.

However, when I substitute my iPhone for the iPod I lose the ability to make/receive calls. And now that you mention it, it does not charge my iPhone either. The Apple Genius said it's because the airplane mode can't be disengaged if plugged in using the Mini's cord. If I use the Apple cord instead, I lose the ability to control my iPhone with my steering wheel/dash console.

You message mentions thata new cableto fix this may be in the works. Is this something that the local Mini dealer will have (or will soon get)?

Thanks!!
Gigi

Old 01-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have my 3g anymore it was a work phone and I got laid off ...
I purchased the "new" version of the Dice unit that has the right cable to charge the 3G iphone. Enfig car stereo has a $25.00 discount available bringing the cost down to $120.00 + shipping which is realistic ($7.60 to FL.).Talk to Christian @(201) 490-5015
I installed the Dice unit for the 3G that I got from Enfig Stereo just before Thanksgiving and am very pleased with it. My 05 MCS doesn't display the song title on the radio but the 3G is mounted right next to it and I can see the album covers on the phone. The only thing to be aware of is when you first start the car with the phone plugged in you get a message on the phone asking if you want to go into "airplane mode", when I click no it goes on and works great. Have also started listening to Pandora radio thru the phone which is pretty cool. When the phone rings the music is muted and I can answer thru the bluetooth. All in all I'm very pleased with it.

I'm assuming that Mini is working on it's own "version" to adapt ...

I've also found an adapter that changes the 12v to 5v for the charger if you want that ...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Sorry to hear that you were laid off. I'm just hoping to keep my job long enough to get my MC paid for! I appreciate the phone suggestions. I will have to check it out. Thanks!

You seem very knowledgeable about all things Mini. Would you mind if I ask you for another recommendation? Other than good ol' elbow grease, is there a product that works well to remove the graphite dust from the brakes?

Thanks!
Gigi

Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I've taken to using this : http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...el_Cleaner.htm

I prefer to use a brush between the spokes to get the really set in dirt , but for a quick wash it does wonders

Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks. I am going to stop atAce Hardwareon my way home from work and pick some up.

Have you ever tried P21S? I've heard that it's supposed to the "recommended" spray on/spray off cleaner. I checked the price and it's over $25/liter. Dang.

Gigi

Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I've won some at shows and it works well , but not worth the $$ in my opinion ...
Best thing is when it comes to brake pad change time get the carbon fiber or ceramic...

Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM

UPDATE ON THE iPHONE ISSUE:
I went to the local Mini dealership this morning. The iPod/USB cable that came with my car IS the cable mentioned in the DSC directive that you referenced and it actually does charge the way it is supposed to. However, thereis still an incompatibility issue with iPhones. I was told that basically the iPhone 3g technology is still too new even for my 2009 Cooper. The same issue exists with BMWs. It's not isolated to Minis.

Guess I am going to have to wait until more people complain to Mini and/or BMW about not being able to fully utilize their iPhones with their Minisand BMWs. Until then, I have an iPod plugged into the USB port to play and charge the iPod.My iPhone is simply synched via BT. I have to use a charger in the cigarette lighter to charge my phone. Sounds like I am complaining but actually I'm not. I was just hoping to operate lean & mean... lol

Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Default Belkin solution to iphone 3g and 3gs problem

A trip to your local Apple store and $50 solves the problem. Belkin makes a cable the plugs into the cigarette lighter 12v and into the ipod interface to let us play our itunes and charge our phones at the same time.

The only complication is that until Mini comes up with a bracket for the Garmin 1260t GPS, you will either be lost with your tunes or lost without your tunes, since there is only one 12v outlet.

I actually met with George, the engineer, from Mini at my local dealer last week. He was a nice guy who spewed a lot of speculative technical talk about why my iPhone wouldn't interface the way the sales lady said it would. It's the cable, George. It's a simple fix.