General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lost Control! Had an accident Mini cooper S 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Default Lost Control! Had an accident Mini cooper S 2008

Hello Everybody,

I bought a brand new Mini Cooper S 2008 with an automatic transmission and had an accident
which happened in a real weird way.

Let me describe it:

I was in the right-most lane in a stationary position, trying to merge into the left lane.
I was just trying to do the usual when the car shot out and I thought that it would do a complete 180.
Thats when I turned the steering in the opposite direction completely and hit an armoured security truck
in the same lane I was originally in.
The car was at less than 10mph, even the airbags did not deploy since the speed was so low.
The right rear side is damaged and the car is in the workshop.

The way all this happened took me by surprise.
I am an experienced 30 year old driver, been driving for about 10 years, this is my fifth car.
It was 8:45 am in the morning,clear day, no sun in my face, the road was clean and free of debris and oil.
I was driving in the normal mode and not the sport mode.
I only had the car for three days and had driven about 100 miles when this happened.

Do you think that there could be some structural/stability problems with the car.
If it does have these problems, what is the best way to determine it does have these problems.

Thanks in advance!
Sarath

Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Default RE: Lost Control! Had an accident Mini cooper S 2008

ORIGINAL: sbagireddi

I was just trying to do the usual when the car shot out and I thought that it would do a complete 180.
Thats when I turned the steering in the opposite direction completely and hit an armoured security truck
What do you mean shot out? You were driving along in a straight line and the car forcibly turned in a different direction by itself, and you over-corrected it into an truck?... Or shot out like accelerated without you hitting the gas?

Is there a possibility that you were struck by another car (yours being really light) and it made you twist?

Its very hard to lose control with stability control... unless you were attempting a 90 degree corner in snow at 50 MPH

What does the police report say?