General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lost Power To Whole Car/DSC, Tier Pressure Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Default Lost Power To Whole Car/DSC, Tier Pressure Monitor

I lost power to the car this morning. I think it was a loose terminal. Might need a new battery. I purchased on a killer deal for a 03' 15 K miles. 15K of course plus the dealer fees and stuff. Well below book. The car is great. Until I tried to start it today and it lost all power. Engine didn't turn, starter didn't click. Obvious issue with electric.... so I waited just a few mins... and it started... WAY TO GO....

I get to work and test it again. No Go... it happened again. I messed with the battery... Ok it's lose on the top end. This could cause it clearly... After I messed with that it worked fine. Starts everytime. However now my DSC light is on (indicating that DSC is messed up or off) and the Flat Tire Indicator (indicating that isn't working because my tires are fine)

Any clues, any hints.....? finally should I replace the battery? 03 original I'm sure.

Thank you!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Default RE: Lost Power To Whole Car/DSC, Tier Pressure Monitor

It happened again only, I've noticed it has nothing to do with the battery or any fuses ect. What I noticed is that it happens when the key is inserted. So that means that it's ignition related. My wife tried starting the car and the same thing happend. Then it was clear, when re-inserting the key and jiggeling it that it started. it Throws all the systems out of whack and resets everything except the permenant records. At 16K miles.... WOW. I know it's an 03 but this is unreal. I would have expected a car made by BMW to be better than a dodge or ford.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:54 AM

I am not sure about this, but it seems that nearly everything on a Mini is an input and/or output from the computer. I wouldn't be suprised if when you turn the key you are not directly engaging the starter relay, but sending a request to the computer for it to start the car. That is really a neat way to do it, except when it doesn't work, then you are dependent on a dealer to fix it. Kind of sucks then.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:19 AM

You are so right. It happened again today. This time only a short moment where it wouldn't start. I sat in the car disgusted for about 8 mins. My wife came out sat in the drivers seat as I opened the passenger door. Suddenly with the key in 2 position the power suddenly came back on! You are right, this is likely computer related. There is no way to be sure what causes the issue. It doesn't seem to be anything traditional like battery, starter, fuel pump, ignition.

It seems to be either the computer system or a short. Even the fuses are fine. I managed to get the DSC and Tire Monitor under control. I just used the reset steps in the monitor and it worked fine.... but this bug renders the car very unreliable. I'm disappointed in BMW to allow it to work like this... from the dealer Horror stories, I'm afraid to take it to them for service because they seem to be clueless about the car when it comes to the software.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:32 PM

Maybe you should talk to some Mini service departments over the phone. If you local dealer seems inept. Try another not-so local dealer. My dealer in Portland Oregon has a great service departemnt, and are morte than willing to chat about things. It is probably something that a good diagnostic guy could easily fix.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:59 PM

Sounds like a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow. It's not that the Scottsdale, AZ guys are stupid but, I've read all these stories 'bout these electrical gremlins in it that are never fixed always causing issues and I just don't want to go through that frustration.

BTW, went to lunch from work just now. It happened again when I got back. I opened the hood and there was a sparking ground wire on my battery. Not as dramatic as it sound but you can hear a crackle.... I touched this and then was able to start again. However, now my DSC and Tire Monitor Light are back on.

I'll call Mini over the next few days and post what I find. It's clear it's electrical/computer stuff.... maybe even just need the wire on the ground tighted up. Regardless, I can't believe this is the "Fine" work of BMW. I do have to say I love this car but a classic would have less bugs.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM

How's it going guys?
Better...I hope.
Anyway, I've had a similar problem with my '05 Mini S,typically during periods of drastic temperature changes. In fact the only reason I'm posting this right now is because the damn thing is sitting in my driveway, mocking me and preventing me from spending a nice evening with my girlfriend at the movies from such a reason (the temp dropped by 25 degrees in a matter of hours). Anyway, I'm not sure if you know anything about the BMW/MINI E.C.U.s, but if they're anything like other processors (wich I'm sure they are) they are just as subject to drastic environmental changes as any other. Drastic temperature change can result in ECU malfunction (caused by the expansion or contraction of any given circuit within, or possibly the relays/fuses associated with such). The main reason I'm posting this is simply because of our geographic diversity: I hardly expected someone from the relatively stable climate of Arizona to experience problems associated with dramatically shifting climes, and I was simply intrigued.
Should you have any more information regarding this phenomenon, I would be greatly interested to hear of such.

Sincerely,
Orijinul

Old 11-01-2008, 02:26 PM

I had this problem, too, with my 04 Cooper. It was the day after returning to NYC after a cold, cold trip to a mountainous state park in Pennsylvania. The lights and dashboard went haywire, and the mechanic said the computer needed to be re-scanned. Oh, and the clutch had to be replaced.

Just the latest in a long line of expensive problems, most of which we have had resolved through the dealer, adding to the expense. The driver's side power window broke; the driver's side door won't open electronically and has to be manually opened; the steering fluid pump, and fan, went out and had to be replaced, and on and on.

We're looking to trade in this computer nightmare for a Toyota! But in the meantime, I'm feeling that the mechanic screwed me by only reprogramming one of our keys, though he had both, and not telling me that both had to be re-programmed. Now he wants to charge me another $165 to reprogram the other one.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

First off I'd tighten up the battery cables ...
The arcing/sparking can be causing interference/noise in the computer ...spiking it can cause strange intermittant troubles