General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My '07 R56 Cooper S Chilli

Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Default My '07 R56 Cooper S Chilli

Hi Guys,

I recently bought the above vehicle from a dealer in Sydney but noticed a chip in the front windscreen as I was driving it home. The chip is small and I would probably prefer to have it repaired rather than replaced having witnessed the torture that the windscreen mounts/seals endure when a windscreen is replaced. Is the repair something that the dealer should be liable for?

Also, the turbocharged R56 is my first front wheel drive vehicle with a decent amount of power and the amount of torque steer it has is unbelievable. I have read that torque steer is rare in R56's but this is not the case in my stock car. It would swerve all over the road under hard acceleration if I do not tame the wheel. Any solutions to this problem?

Finally, I want to get a strut brace but am finding it difficult to find a local supplier. I also read that the strut towers tend to "mushroom" over time. I assume this is less of a problem on the second generation MINIs given the increased suspension travel. In any event, which strut brace should I get to improve handling and mitigate the risk of mushrooms and where should I get it from?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to contributing to this forum in the near future.

Cheers,
A

Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Most used cars are bought AS IS , If you;d have mentioned the chip before buying you might have had them fix it as part of the deal. Since you left the lot they might say you damaged on the way home.

I get minimal torque steer , I'd examine the alignment and tires as there might be issues there , does it track straight ?

Cravenspeed MINI Cooper Strut Tower Plates
are to prevent mushrooming

MINI Coop John Cooper Works Upper Stress Bar
strut bar

Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM

I ended up buying a windscreen repair kit for $30... the cracks are less visible but the chip is still there so I might have to get another one and do it again.

There is no freeplay in the steering wheel and the car drives fairly straight when I let go of the wheel. It's just under hard acceleration that it gets out of control, but perhaps this is just me adjusting to FWD.

Thanks for the links. Is the JCW bar worth the price? I've seen some aftermarket ones on eBay for $100.