General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie- Engine Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Default Newbie- Engine Wont Start

I just bought this turd at a auction. It wound not start at the auction, it had to be jumped. Got it home and replaced the battery & it still wouldnt start. Hooked up the jumper cables and I dont know what I did but it started, it ran rough for a few minutes it then smoothed out, killed the engine, took my jumper cables off and got busy doing something else. When I came back to piddle with it again it wouldnt start.. All the lights worked, stereo, inside pannel lights all work.
I hooked it back up to my truck to try to jump start it again and it wouldnt start..
Ok guys what is the trick here, what am I missing here... ? Helpe before I go nuts or do something drastic...

Does anyone know of a good mechanic in Fort Worth Texas who could work on it ?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'd double check the terminals and connections
Is the replacement battery the proper specs ?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:37 AM

O'Reilly claims it's the correct battery ?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Does it crank ? and just not start or not crank ? It might have an alarm system thats preventing starting

Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Default Still won't start

You may have a dead spot in your starter.Back in the day, when car were simple we all had issues with starter working some of the time and some time it wouldn't I use to keep a hammer with me for an old ford I once owned.Atap or to would release the stuck starter.

Best bet is to run a scanner and get the code and that will tell you.I am going to invest in a scanner .You can buy them on Amazon for $40.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:58 PM

To look for an Indy shop use this site here. As for starting, did you plug into the OBDII and check to see if there are any faults present? Check all grounds and make sure the battery connections are tight. If they're slightly loose, your MINI will give you a lot of trouble. Otherwise, check fuel and spark items. And yes, does it crank at all when you attempt to start it?

Old 12-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Cool You To?

I had a very similar problem with my Mini. When the car was running everything worked, the lights stereo heater, everything. Then when I stopped I couldn't get the dumb thing to turn over. First thing I did was to go down to the auto parts store and buy a jump charger for about 150 bucks and keep it in my garage overnight charging. Then I'd use the key to physically unlock the door and scamper in the back Pull the carpet out and attach the jumper cables from the jump charger, that way at least I could start the dumb thing, Next step was to take it to the shop and name of the place I took it too was Honest Auto out in Beaverton Oregon. They kept the thing for a week and reprogrammed the central computer and since then I haven't had any trouble, seems to start and charge without any problem. Unfortunately it wound up costing me over $1400. On the other hand it was about $2000 less than what Mini of Portland would've charged me.

Last edited by retromike3; 12-10-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 AM

Neat thing about the jumper box I bought was that I could get about five or more good jumps out of it before I had to recharge it

Old 07-27-2021, 02:07 AM

Hi gonna sound daft and simple,remove the battery clamps,use rough sand paper to clean up the battery terminals and the inside of the clamps,connect everything up again,and may work,had the same issue years ago,stumped lots if pro's