General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Light on then off

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:45 AM
Default Oil Light on then off

I just purchased an '09 S model, and on the way home, the low oil pressure light came on, then turned off a few seconds later. I was only a few minutes from home by that point, so I did drive the rest of the way, and didn't hear any weird noises, or have any other lights come on. I checked the oil as best I could with that weird red dipstick after it sat for about 30 minutes, and it looks to have plenty (between the two bulbs, closer to the top than the bottom). The car was on a level surface when I checked the oil. The circumstances were: I had driven about 70 miles on the freeway from the dealer to get home, and then passed through a town at low speed, and after about 8 minutes of the slower driving, heard a dinging sound. I looked around, and saw the oil light, but it almost immediately shut off again. The temperature outside was 10-15 deg. Fahrenheit if it helps. As I said, I did drive the few remaining miles home afterward, keeping revs under 2k.

If anyone can suggest what might be the problem, whether I can drive it to my mechanic safely, etc., it would be much appreciated.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Elessartelcontar
I just purchased an '09 S model, and on the way home, the low oil pressure light came on, then turned off a few seconds later. I was only a few minutes from home by that point, so I did drive the rest of the way, and didn't hear any weird noises, or have any other lights come on. I checked the oil as best I could with that weird red dipstick after it sat for about 30 minutes, and it looks to have plenty (between the two bulbs, closer to the top than the bottom). The car was on a level surface when I checked the oil. The circumstances were: I had driven about 70 miles on the freeway from the dealer to get home, and then passed through a town at low speed, and after about 8 minutes of the slower driving, heard a dinging sound. I looked around, and saw the oil light, but it almost immediately shut off again. The temperature outside was 10-15 deg. Fahrenheit if it helps. As I said, I did drive the few remaining miles home afterward, keeping revs under 2k.

If anyone can suggest what might be the problem, whether I can drive it to my mechanic safely, etc., it would be much appreciated.
since the oil check shows good, most likely it's a sensor or wiring problem.