General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please Help: New Header / O2 Sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Question Please Help: New Header / O2 Sensor problem

THE SKINNY:

Just installed a new Megan Racing Header (which is only available as a cat deleted system) and the upstream O2 Sensor port is too close to the Heat Shield / Tunnel to allow for an O2 Sensor to be installed (even if I had installed the sensor before mounting the header).

Let me first say, I am not expecting to just remove the sensor and go on my merry way.

I have read a number of threads and I have a pretty good idea of how O2 sensors COULD reasonably work in conjuction with the ECU. ( I am a mechanical engineer (with a 4 year degree) and former aircraft mechanic with a 2 year degree as CNC machinist, but I am not by any means an expert on modern ECUs) What I don't know is how the ECU ACTUALLY utilizes the data from the O2 sensors in this application.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO:

Install an 02 Sensor harness extension (or just extend the harness) and put the upstream sensor in the downstream bung (readings should be the same as there is no cat) with an O2 sensor simulator for the actual downstream sensor.

WHAT I DON'T KNOW

If I install an O2 sensor simulator, how does that work with the computer? Is it essentially creating a stand alone signal (like for example just playing a recording on a loop) that simulates an "acceptable signal". If this is the case, shouldn't I assume that a B.S. signal will cause the engine to run at less the peak performance. For example if the engine should be creating "X" amount of O2, but is actually creating "Y" amount, the ECU wont correct the mixture if the simulator keeps telling the computer that it is reading "X" amount of O2. Does that make sense?

Or does the O2 sensor simulator take a reading from the upstream sensor and modify it to read the correct theoretical O2 reading given a functioning cat?
If that is the case, wouldn't the simulator need to tap into the upstream sensor signal as well as be plugged into the downstream sensor plug.

Or.. Does the computer not use the down stream sensor for adjusting/calibrating fuel map? That is to say, the downstream signal is only used to throw a code (that doesn't affect the fuel map / timing) when the O2 levels deviate from acceptable emissions standards if for example the cat isn't functioning properly or is removed.

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID:

Will what I am suggesting work, and if so, which O2 simulator should I use? I can only find one, but I am not sure if others exist.

O2 Simulator from Way Motor Works
waymotorworks.com/o2-sensor-module.html
Not sure how this installs as it appears to be nothing more than a pig tail with a plug at one end (that I assume plugs into the stock downstream connector) and three unterminated wires at the other end that I assume need to be wired to something, but I have no idea how/where they need to be wired.

I realize this has been a small novel and I really appreciate it if you have made it this far. I could use any help or guidance I can get, I am not sure where to go from here. Really, any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM

Google these guys Bay Bridge Bimmers & Minis. These guys are gurus when it comes to Mini Coopers. Classic and modern Minis. I would ask any of their techs. The owner Jacque is a really good guy. He still races to this day also. These guys are in Northern California.