General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power steering Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Default Power steering Fan

Now that my power steering is working fine,I am now beginning to have problems with the cooling fan for the power steering pump ,it won't stop running,even when you shut the car off it wouldn't stop. Has anyone else had such a problem.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:19 AM

are you mistaking the continous run of the power steering pump for the p/s pump fan? if the p/s pump continues to run when vechile is shut off it has electrically shorted and you will need a new pump. i hate not seen very many p/s pump fans that continously run after vechile is shut off. depending on the year of your mini you can pull fuse 40 on the drivers kickpanel inside the car (depending if it has pdc, park distance control it may be fuse 41) and see if the fan stops.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Default Fan running after engine shut down

Originally Posted by IHATEMINIS
are you mistaking the continous run of the power steering pump for the p/s pump fan? if the p/s pump continues to run when vechile is shut off it has electrically shorted and you will need a new pump. i hate not seen very many p/s pump fans that continously run after vechile is shut off. depending on the year of your mini you can pull fuse 40 on the drivers kickpanel inside the car (depending if it has pdc, park distance control it may be fuse 41) and see if the fan stops.
My '05 Mini S type also has this problem, I think. After engine shut down, there is a very loud fan noise that lasts about 2 minutes, then stops. Could it be something other than the p/s pump fan?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

It COULD be the electric radiator fan as well...
Check the coolant level low level can cause it to run hot and fan will run

Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 AM

IF YOU ARE HEARING A loud FAN RUNNING, IAM PRETTY SURE YOU ARE MISTAKING THAT FOR THE RADIATOR FAN, NOT THE POWER STEERING PUMP COOLING FAN.
IN THE EVENT OF A COOLANT LEAK, LOW COOLANT IN YOUR OVERFLOW TANK THE CAR WILL CONTINOUSLY RUN THE COOLING FAN TO KEEP THE VECHILE COOL. NOW, THE STAGE 1 PORTION OF THE FAN IS VERY WELL KNOWN TO ELECTRICALLY FAIL, WHICH IN TURN MAKES THE STAGE 2 FAN RUN MORE OFTEN THAN IT SHOULD (THE LOUD FAN NOISE YOU ARE HEARING). IM NOT SURE WHICH PROBLEM YOU HAVE BUT TRY CHECKING YOU COOLANT LEVEL FIRST AND SEE IF IT IS LOW. I REPLACE ALOT OF RADIATOR FANS ASSOCIATED WITH COOLANT LEAKS.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by IHATEMINIS
IF YOU ARE HEARING A loud FAN RUNNING, IAM PRETTY SURE YOU ARE MISTAKING THAT FOR THE RADIATOR FAN, NOT THE POWER STEERING PUMP COOLING FAN.
IN THE EVENT OF A COOLANT LEAK, LOW COOLANT IN YOUR OVERFLOW TANK THE CAR WILL CONTINOUSLY RUN THE COOLING FAN TO KEEP THE VECHILE COOL. NOW, THE STAGE 1 PORTION OF THE FAN IS VERY WELL KNOWN TO ELECTRICALLY FAIL, WHICH IN TURN MAKES THE STAGE 2 FAN RUN MORE OFTEN THAN IT SHOULD (THE LOUD FAN NOISE YOU ARE HEARING). IM NOT SURE WHICH PROBLEM YOU HAVE BUT TRY CHECKING YOU COOLANT LEVEL FIRST AND SEE IF IT IS LOW. I REPLACE ALOT OF RADIATOR FANS ASSOCIATED WITH COOLANT LEAKS.
Thank you so much. It was the coolant level, but no leaks - strange - and no fan problems. You all are really great to help. Thanks again. Lisa