General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

R53 Supercharger Belt Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 11:01 AM
Question R53 Supercharger Belt Alignment

I recently bought a 2006 Mini Cooper S R53 with 130K miles. Love the car but having problems with the serpentine belt. The first day home with the car the belt shredded. I installed a new belt tensioner and serpentine belt. Everything looks to be aligned correctly, but after the engine runs for about a minute, the belt jumps one groove back toward the supercharger on the SC pulley.

I replaced the Cravenspeed 15% reduction pulley with a new one just to make sure that the pulley was installed correctly, and the same thing continues to happen. About to go out and remove the belt tensioner and inspect the alignment on all of the pulleys very closely to see if I can determine what is pulling the 6-rib belt off track. Since the idler pulley and tensioner pulleys are just smooth wheels, I am assuming it has to be the SC pulley is not pushed in to the correct position on the SC shaft, or either the crank pulley or alternator pulley are out of alignment and pulling the belt toward the engine to cause it to jump over one groove on the SC pulley.

Hopefully I will have this figured sometime today. If so, I will post the solution. Would welcome any input from others that may have already solved this problem. Thanks!

Tom

Old 08-23-2022, 08:50 PM

Update - I reinstalled the SC pulley and made sure it was seated as far as possible on the supercharger shaft. No change. The belt jumps back one groove towards the engine as soon as the engine is started. I am back to my assumption that the alternator pulley is out of alignment with the SC pulley.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions, that would be welcome.