General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering Wheel Off Center - Allignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Question Steering Wheel Off Center - Allignment?

I have a 2 week old 2009 Mini Cooper S (love it!). When I first took it home I noticed that the steering wheel is slightly off center to the left. When I straighten the steering wheel perfectly the car veers right.

I just got back from the dealership where I asked for the car to be alligned. The service advisor drove the car, came back and told me that allignment is fine. He also said that BMW/Mini cars are designed to veer right in the event that the driver falls asleep. This sounds crazy to me.

My question: Is it okay for the steering wheel to be off center slightly or should I demand an allignment or to have the steering wheel adjusted.

THANKS!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

my leather seam on the steering wheel is top dead center going straight, If yours is not then yes it needs alignment all my BMW's have been the same ... I've NEVER heard of such a thing veering right if you fall asleep , garbage ... Sounds like a lazy service guy to me ...

Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Hi JoJodeLeon,

Where you able to get that issue fixed ?I have a 2 week old Mini Countryman S and the wheel is off center to the left. I have taken the car back to the dealer 3 times and they have performed 2 alignment but the issue is still there. The service manager have told me this is the first time someone complains about it and that all Minis and BMWs have the wheel a little to the left because that's the way they are.. to me is all BS. I've been trying to get used to the tilted wheel but I just can't deal with it.

If the dealer was able to get this corrected for you I appreciate if you can tell me how so maybe I can show them this thread to them.

Thanks

Juan

Old 05-05-2015, 03:43 PM

Sounds like when they performed the alignment they didn't fully straighten the wheel? That is usually fixed by an alignment. I've never heard of a wheel being off as a characteristic for the Mini's, but might want to try doing a Google search to see if that argument is valid and to see if other Mini owners are complaining about it as well.

-Luccia

Old 05-05-2015, 03:53 PM

Luccia,

I took it to a shop specialized in european cars and they checked the alignment which was good and all they had to do was to adjust the steering wheel and it's perfect now which is what I told the dealer and they said they couldn't do it. They were useless but I finally got it they way it should be.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by juancs11
Luccia,

I took it to a shop specialized in european cars and they checked the alignment which was good and all they had to do was to adjust the steering wheel and it's perfect now which is what I told the dealer and they said they couldn't do it. They were useless but I finally got it they way it should be.

Thanks
Glad they fixed it! I've never heard of a vehicle not being able to have their steering wheel straightened when going in for an alignment.

-Luccia