General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Default Windshield Wipers

I have a 2002 Cooper S and the windshield wipers stopped working after a snowstorm.

My dad, the resident "car guy," looked at it right away for me. There are no blown fuses, which is what we immediately assumed it would be. After some investigation he was still unable to ascertain whatwas going on with it.I recently took it to a specialty sports car service shopand the mechanic there was also unable to discern what is going on with the car. The notes written on the paperwork they gave me are: Checked windshield wiper circuits // checked fuses, substitute relays with good units // suspect motor, stalk switch may be bad // more diag time needed

The only reason I haven't already pulled the trigger on buying a new windshield wiper motor is because the wipers randomly worked one time for about a minute, and they'll move a couple inches from time to time when I start the car, which makes me wonder if it isn't, in fact, the motor.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a similar experience?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Windshield Wipers

you should be able to check for voltage at the motor ... check for voltage , no voltage I'd suspect the switch , since he subbed the relays ect

Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Default RE: Windshield Wipers

Yes, I had a problem with my wipers this year. It started out slowly meaning they would stop moving right in the middle of the windshield. I thought I was going crazy because then in a couple of minutes it would start up again and work fine for days. Then finally when it was raining hard and I was on the highway in the left lane they stopped running and I could hardly see. Yes, it was the wiper motor and it cost $800 at MW Mini. I was lucky that the tech found a $100. coupon and dropped the bill down by $100. They told me that wiper motors can go out when a person starts the wipers up when a windshield is covered with ice or snow and the wipers are stuck and can't move. It puts strain on the wipers and messes it up big time. I don't remember ever doing that but maybe I did. Oh well
Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Have a 2001. In a heavy rainstorm after driving in the rain for 4 hours they all of a sudden stopped.
Fuses good, relays good. When allowed to cool down they would intermittently work. Mini said $750 for the replacement, and it is a common problem.
Anyone else have this problem? Anywhere to get a less expensive replacement motor.
Seems the Mini dealers are trying to blow a lot of smoke. Great car but everything is $500 here and there.