General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Yet Another Window Door Lock Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Default Yet Another Window Door Lock Issue!

I am the unfortunate owner of an 04' Std. Mini with CVT that works fine, but with 118K on the clock I must get rid of before the ticking time bomb of a transmission goes south and costs me more than the value of the whole car!

My real issue is my driver window goes down about 3/4 and stops, and goes up to about 3/4 and stops again. Also the passenger door will not unlock with the key fob so you have to open from the inside manually.

I took it to Mini of Ontario (calif.) and with an 8:30 AM appointment and requested that they diagnose the two problems and reflash the computer in case they were related. I have read dozens of posts on these issues and that was the cheapest, quickest thing to try first.

The stealership didn't touch the car all day Thursday, or Friday and at 2:00 PM saturday called with a $600 estimate to replace the window regulator and recommended a new window motor for another $200. No mention of the door lock problem because they never bothered to re-initialize the computer or even take 10min. to hook it up.

They basically charged me $130 and took 3 days to flick the window switch up and down, watch the window move and without any actual troubleshooting suggest I spend $800 on the window. Still no mention of the door lock problem. I can only imagine it would be another $800.

I expressed my extreme displeasure at their entire way of doing business and mentioned that I can buy the window regulators all day long for $75 or less and intended to do that, but asked if they would at least disable the anti-trap feature from the computer. That is likely keeping the window from working so that I can't manually run the window up and down with the switch and not have any software "in the way". Their response was it was a safety issue that they could not legally disable. (basically, we won't help you at all)

Now I have lost 4 days, (Can't buy parts on Sunday) Spent $130 for absolutely nothing and after I replace the regulator still may need the computer reflashed to reset home position. They offered to do that for another $130.

Sure glad I bought a friggin Mini!