New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Cooper S vs. 07 Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Default 06 Cooper S vs. 07 Cooper

Hey all

Wanted to poll the experts. I'm shopping for a Mini and have come across the following priced within my budget...

06 Cooper S w/115k
07 Cooper w/50k

My main concern is the mileage difference, but obviously would rather the S version.
I've done the research and understand that the models changed between 06 and 07 (mostly cosmetic?) so I'm wondering what others think.

Aside from the obvious performance boost, do you think the 06 model is a better option since the bugs had been ironed out between 02 and 06?

Was there any perks in the 07 model that the 06 didn't have?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by junior
Hey all

Wanted to poll the experts. I'm shopping for a Mini and have come across the following priced within my budget...

06 Cooper S w/115k
07 Cooper w/50k

My main concern is the mileage difference, but obviously would rather the S version.
I've done the research and understand that the models changed between 06 and 07 (mostly cosmetic?) so I'm wondering what others think.

Aside from the obvious performance boost, do you think the 06 model is a better option since the bugs had been ironed out between 02 and 06?

Was there any perks in the 07 model that the 06 didn't have?

Thanks for the help!
The one thing for me would be the maint history of the 2006 S, it is a sports car no doubt, so you'd want to be sure it had all services and schedule maint done as well as any recalls taken care of. And you're right that the 06 was the last year of the 1st gen models so it was/should be pretty stable. That being said, the the 2nd gens, starting with '07, were being built with all the knowledge experience gained from the previous series.
As for perks, you'd need to do some research since there are so many different options available for any given MINI. I'd start with a simple search i.e. "06 MINI Cooper S vs 07 MINI Cooper Base" an see what you get, maybe hit the Edmunds site as well as what pops up in you search. Also search for specs for each model that will give you several good options to get info.
Lastly both cars had the same 1.6L 4-cyl. engine and as you noted the 06 S was supercharged for that extra kick in the butt boost!
Not knowing what your budget limitations are it may be silly of me to suggest but have you priced a '07 S, 'cause again with all the options available when new you may find an '07 S that would price out very close to the '06 S based on how they were loaded when new.
Bottom line here is you need to drive both, and see if the difference is worth the extra miles or the fewer miles.
Good luck and hopefully you'll be driving a MINI very soon.
Keep us posted!
Oh, and BTW, I own an '07 S hatchback, purchased new, and have loved every minute behind the wheel, and under the hood/car, 'cause one thing is for sure, these little cars are just begging you to add this and that and replace that part with one that sounds better or gives you better handling, more power or all the above! .

Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM

If you do go for the S model instead of the 07 base just remember the slight, but obvious differences between the power adder. The '06 has a supercharger that gives power instantaneously where as the '07's and up have a turbocharger. The turbo is a wonderful thing, however if your just looking for a car that your not willing to upgrade then the '06 S model is perfect. Or, if your an enthusiast like myself the turbo is much easier to modify than a supercharger. Also, the supercharger quits making power mid way through the RPM band where as the turbo needs to spool up so it lives in the upper RPM band.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 PM

I've got 50K on my 07 MCS which has been very reliable. My suggestion is that you find a 07 S model. 6 speed manual, of course.