New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building my brother's 06

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Default Building my brother's 06

So I am a die hard euro fan. I build Porsche race engines and work on my volvo 850 T5. Well I'm proud to say my brother is following my taste. His is going to be buying a 2006 Mini Cooper S. Our goal is 300-400whp, sways, coilovers, yada yada yada and possibly (if the budget allows) I will weld in a full roll cage. So now I have some questions. What sort of power will the rods, pistons, and crank hold? I was thinking JE pistons, some nice H-beams, and maybe lightened/knife edged crank. Are there any harmonics problems with lightening the crank? I know there are in my volvo 5-cylinder. Also at wat sort of CFM/PSI will the stock supercharger run out of breath? are there any direct replacements for the stock supercharger?

If I get my way I will be doing a full standalone EMS system. I'm sure someone has had exprience with an EMS on a mini. Megasquirt or a similar setup? I will be doing all the work myself. Also are there any dyno tuning companies in the Southern California area?

On these cars (with the supercharger) is it better to do a TMIC with a water to air intercooler? or should I do a full custom FMIC?

Also I have never been able to search very well (I suck at research papers haha), but if you can post some links to significant builds that would be amazing.

Oh and this car will be a daily driver, but I will want to be able to swap between street and track setups.

sincerely,

Socal850tuner

Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

300 is doable on stock internals ... many have added the Twurbo (Twin Turbo) kit from Alta on the S's Supercharger to give it full power ... I've posted the link to it here:
https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...-cooper-s.aspx

With the firing order and even cylinders the mini will do OK on crank Lightening if done properly

There are kits for both top mount/front mount Intercoolers

The standalone will probably be a NIGHTMARE as these cars are highly interconnected and a pain to seperate , best of luck with that

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM

I understand that EMS systems are difficult, but how interconnected are we talking? like stock ecu also monitors trans and what not? Is the manual trans controlled somehow by the ecu?

That alta kit look like fun... would I leave the supercharger in place too? If so does someone have some pics of this setup installed?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

The EMS is intertwined with the throttle and everything for traction control/anti wheel spin , it controls throttle (that is fly by wire)it's thru a bus type system and very hard to beat /defeat (thanks BMW)

I've seen pics before on other sites with the SC and just a twin turbo set up, I think there are ones on Alta's site as well ...