New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convince me of a cooper s

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Default convince me of a cooper s

whats up guys? my names ben, i am getting ready to graduate college in a few monthes and i am ready/in need of a new car. i currently drive a 1998 jetta gt 2.0 with the basic bolt ons (cat back, suspension, intake, and minor visual upgrades) and love this car as slow as it may be. i am looking for a little more oomph and even more driving fun. right now its down to a 2003 or newer VW VR6 (24V, 200 hp and a 6 speed) or a 2004 or newer Cooper S because i believe that was the year that the gearing was changed, but i could be very wrong on that (forgive me, i am new). so this is where you guys come in. i am very familiar with the VW after market and have seen alot that has to be offered along with prices. i would like to see what the aftermarket has to offer for the Mini. i know about JCW but i was wondering if there were other companies. what visual upgrades (besides wheels) are available, i.e. lip kits, e-code headlights, european body panels etc. what do after market prices look like, primarily suspension components? how does the car respond to suspension upgrades (VW's love them esp. rear sway bars)? basically i want to hear all of the good, the bad, and the ugly experiences you have had with your Mini.

Thanks guys and I hope the Mini family is as welcoming and informative as the VW family has been to me over the past 3 years.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Default RE: convince me of a cooper s

Only very late 04's are the "facelift" ones. There'sa TON of after market stuff for performance and asthetics for the MINI. Suspension mods are relatively cheap and, even though it's one of the best handling out of the box cars, they help a lot too.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Default RE: convince me of a cooper s

no one else has anything good to say about these cars? i want to hear everything you guys have to say, common problems expensive problems, any thing. also, what are some other good sources of information from owners, for the VW world, we have VWVortex, what is the main Mini forum?