New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooper S Provides Paraplegic Freedom Again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Default Cooper S Provides Paraplegic Freedom Again!

Hey All!

I just wanted to share a quick note about how a 2007 Cooper S provided freedom once again!

About 2 years ago I was in a motorcycle accident where I was left me paraplegic, and loss complete use of my legs. During the recovery phase, I was unable to drive for almost two years. I have always loved motor vehicles of all kinds, and greatly missed being behind the wheel. When the time came, we shopped long and hard for a vehicle that would be easy for me to get in and out of, and something we could adapt with hand-controls. We eventually chose a Mini!

I have the 6 speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters. This combo allows me complete control of the Cooper… I hardly miss having a manual transmission. I have to say, the Mini Cooper is one of the ABSOLUTE best vehicles for a person in a wheelchair!

If you want to see a short video of me getting into the Mini S, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fiHp...&feature=feedf

Although the video was shot for a contest, it does show how well the Mini works for someone in a chair.

Thanks Mini Cooper for providing me FREEDOM once again!!!
MiniWheeln

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Wow that is pretty slick , Never saw a wheelchair break down like that

Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
Wow that is pretty slick , Never saw a wheelchair break down like that
The car/chair combo really makes it happen for me. The chair is made by TiLite. It is composed of titanium, carbon-fiber and some aluminum. The chair in the picture ways about 28 pounds or so when complete. I have a newer chair and a slightly different version of the one in the video, and they have shaved weight; its down to 19 pounds when completely together.

I was still new at getting in and out of the care when the video was filmed. Now I can get in and out of the car in less than a minute.

Have a good one!
MiniWheeln