New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mini don't laugh...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 08:00 PM
Default First Mini don't laugh...

So I bought a 2004 JCW mini because it was cheap, drove pretty good and I always wanted one. Since it's an 04 and has been beat on pretty good am I subject to be laughed out of the room? Got plenty other cars and am no stranger to working on cars. (I have brit cars)

Old 11-26-2023, 08:52 AM

So after coming back and reading my post above I realize it sounds a little arrogant, sorry about that. Let me explain... I bought this car on a whim, I have lots of project cars and the last thing I needed was another one. But I always wanted a mini S and this was as close as I'd probably come to buying a car I don't need. Bought it off a quick drive down the road and back, clutch slips, rattles and vibrates all over, bad paint job, moldings falling off, dented hood and and smells bad!
Got it titled and tagged and driving on four completely dry-rotted tires because the more I drove it around the more I liked it. This was last sunday, 6 days ago. New tires to be here monday. So have been feeling pretty stupid for buying a car that literally everything I touched on it had been previously "touched" by a ham fisted shade tree (everything plastic has broken clips and is glued back in place). But, friday and sat I got some shop time on it. Front strut bearings (naturally), rear struts upper mounting cushions (I'm thinking it needed new struts all around), so those are easy and cheap, lots of crazy vibrations so I was thinking front axles (changed with load) but ends up the aftermarket wheels only have 3 centering rings so I swapped wheels around to get the better ones on front, being careful to center them on the hubs as best I can. Sorted the dark passenger hi beam, (just a bulb), and found a bad tie rod end. So some of the things I thought were going to be stupid expensive on a cheap car have turned out good in my favor. The best thing is I get back on the road with it and no more bad vibration, it drives nice and smooth so I get to feel what it's supposed to drive like. I can't stay out of it, I look for a reason to drive it. So I guess I'm on another journey with the mini... I have plans to make it nice.