New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Default Frustrated

I recently purchased a 2008 Mini Cooper S. About a month ago my hatch will not open with either my key fob or manually. Sporadically it will open of its on volition while driving. The dealership tells me I need a new handle, but that makes no sense to me because it opens on its on and if the handle was broken the key fob should work. Incidentally, I have been reading multiple forums and to my dismay I DO NOT have a pull cord under my back seat. The housing for it is present but the pull cord is not. Is my logic sound or am I missing a variable? Please advise.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Welcome to MINI Cooper Forums. I've seen many instances where the grip is faulty. Mostly with cases when the hatch only releases with the fob.

You can remove the trunk lid grip and test the electronic switch by jumping the leads at the connector to open the door (the brown and blue/red wires). You can use a paperclip to do this (see image below for example). If it does work, trunk lid grip is the problem.

Trunk lid grips: Mini Cooper, Cooper S, and Clubman (R55/R56/R57) - Bumpers, Doors, Latches & Lids - Page 8.

DIY: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm