New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Buy a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Default Going to Buy a Mini

This is my first post and I was really hoping to ask some questions about Mini Cooper's but really not sure where to post that thread, if someone could help me out that would be great.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Hello! I'm looking to buy a Mini as well, I would love to hear what others have to say.

The one I'm looking at is located here: 2004 Mini Cooper S

Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 PM

I have test driven a 2006, 2008, and am going hopefully tomorrow to test drive an 2009, they are all the same price, model and all the same features. I keep getting different answers from all the different dealers as to why that is.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Oh yeah what I forgot to put in the above post is that the 2006 you could tell had been driven hard, the 2008 was missing the boot or whatever it is called on the manual shifter and the doors creaked every time you opened or shut them and the dash lights were to the point where they were starting to wear out. I still have not driven the 2009 yet but it is from a BMW used car dealership so hopefully it will be in better shape than the others.

The main question I have is, is it something that happens to Mini's frequently that the inside door panel get's loose to the point where it creaks and groans whenever you open or put any pressure on it?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Oh yeah I guess I should post the price so that someone who knows something about Mini's can help.

The price of the 06,08 and 09 are all 15,9++, the last two digits do differ from car to car.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:30 AM

Okay so just to make the question easier on everybody, WHAT are the downsides or the troubles of owning a Mini.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 PM

Or are their any downsides, I know every car has it's faults, I was just wondering what the most problematic fault was with the Mini's.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Temple
Or are their any downsides, I know every car has it's faults, I was just wondering what the most problematic fault was with the Mini's.
Apparently every person on the forum that owns a Mini has had absolutely no problems what so ever ??

Or a bunch of people got a mini joined these forums then either never came back or can't figure out how to be friendly and give us newbies some advise ?

I know I test drove an 09 and a 13 and both of them the doors panels squeaked, at first I thought nothing of it, but with the door closed you could push on the arm rest or just about anywhere on the door panel and it had the annoying squeak

Old 10-21-2012, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by OFDPOS
Apparently every person on the forum that owns a Mini has had absolutely no problems what so ever ??

Or a bunch of people got a mini joined these forums then either never came back or can't figure out how to be friendly and give us newbies some advise ?

I know I test drove an 09 and a 13 and both of them the doors panels squeaked, at first I thought nothing of it, but with the door closed you could push on the arm rest or just about anywhere on the door panel and it had the annoying squeak
Yes exactly, that's why I want to hear from a Mini owner or more than one preferably as to if that is a common thing or if me and you have just tested or sat in bad ones, there are always bad ones no matter what car so I just want a owner of a Mini to answer any of the questions I have posted.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Youre in the right place, I just posted a short shifter for a mini and pressed new posts to get here. So looks good.
As far as buying a Mini, you should if you could, buy a JCW. They have a quicker resell value, I mean they will sell faster. I would compare this car to a race car with front wheel drive. IMHO, this car would be 10 times better with all wheel drive, but with that comes more moving parts and ops for things to go wrong. But the number 1 selling point on these cars is power to weight ratio. The moment to drive one you will be amazed at the torque of the car. Number two is gas mileage, GREAT cannot be capitalized enough, hovering around 30 mpg for M-F commuting is truly great.
The biggest downside is the small trunk, front wheel drive on snow with this torque and light car makes getting there a effort not too easy. Hope that helps and buy my short shifter, because puttin those torquey shifts together is key for getting the most out of that car, at least that is what my imagination is made of.

Quick Reply: Going to Buy a Mini