New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello Mini Cooper Forms

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Default Hello Mini Cooper Forms

I do not yet own a Mini Cooper but am looking into purchasing one and barring anything else catching my eye within the next month I will wind up purchasing one. It will most likely be a 2011 or newer Cooper.
I am not yet sure of weather or not I am going to get a Supercharged or a Base model. This is why I joined the forum before my purchase. I am looking to get some insight on the cost differences between the S and the base model. What I am interested in knowing the differences in insurance and maintenance costs, as well as the difference in overall reliability. If the costs and reliability does not differ much I will likely go ahead and get the S.
Some background information on myself, I will be using this car for my daily commute and summer road trips that I will be taking in the coming years. I am a 17 year old male (have had my liscence for a year, one accident, not my fault) and will be entering my junior year in the fall and will need the car to last me through at least my undergraduate studies.

Also an extra note, I am not just another one of those spoiled brats that are having mommy and daddy buy the car for me. I have worked my *** off to be able to get into a car this new at my age.

Thank you guys for your time.
-Mrow1997

Old 06-07-2015, 08:12 PM

Hi mrow1997, the newer Minis are turbocharged now. The last year Mini made a supercharged model is 2006. In my opinion, get the S model in whatever year you choose. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 PM

Quick update on my search:
I have decided that I am most likely not going to wind up going with a Mini, as I have been scared off by the terrible reliability ratings and things that I have heard from owners.

If this changes I will come back with an update stating so, but I am thinking that I am likely to wind up with a Honda/Acura or a volvo.

By all means, I absolutely love the Mini Coopers and think they are awesome cars and are super fun to drive. It just does not seem like the right move for me at this time.

Anyways, Thank You all for your time. It is very much appreciated.
-Mrow1997

Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Don't be scared off by the MINI, certain years and models have more problems then other, most of the time its poor maintenance and the previous owners did not keep up on.

On the 2011 or Newer MINI Cooper most S models come with the N18 engine which has less problems then the N14 2007-2010.

On the Gen 1 a 05'+ is a good buy.

Thanks

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Welcome & Best Wishes on your new Buy !