New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a Mini virgin.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 PM
kat
Default I am a Mini virgin.

Hello all...New here and REALY new to Mini's. I have found in the past to come to Forums like this to get REAL information about things...I grew up as a auto mechanics son. Have pretty good knowledge of how things work on American cars. But never even popped the hood on one of these things..I do know it is made by BMW and there isnt a dealer in town to work on it...My wife has recently got a job out of town and its starting to cost alot of gas money to keep using the ol Ford F150. So she has it in her mind to buy a used Mini to run back and forth on to work to save on gas. She will be putting a little over 100 miles a day on it. Keep in mind Im looking at buying a used Mini

1=Are there certian years of Mini's that are more reliable than others??
2=Are there certian yers of Mini's that get better gas mileage than others??
3=Does the turbo version of the Mini's have an effect on questions 1 and 2?
4=I am 6'1 260lbs..Am I gonna like riding in it??
5=Can these cars handle the miles that I plan on putting on??

These are my first concearns..Im going to surf around in here to see if I can maybe get more info....Thanx for any help

Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 AM

Good questions I'm a mini newb also so hopefully you will get some replies.

I'm looking to replace my 2000 Toyota Echo with 234k miles with a Mini S for my commute. Hoping to get lots of info from this site!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
kat

Well havent had a response with my questions yet....=(

Im still in the market for one...In my area $10 will get me a 09-08 depending on milage...

Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM

Hi Kat. I've got an 04 Cooper S. I totally love this car! As for being a commuter and putting about 100 miles on it a day, I would look to getting something else. maybe a Honda or Toyota. In my opinion 100 miles a day is too much to put on a BMW motor. Especially if you have to put 91 octane in it. I also heard that the automatics in the Mini's have a lot of problems, earlier models anyways. And given your size, it might be a little cramped in there for you. The Cooper is a great car nonetheless. Hope this helps.