New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Purchase a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Cool Looking to Purchase a Mini

Hi everyone,

I am looking into purchasing a Mini Cooper. I live in Northeast Ohio, and I am concerned about driving in the snow. We usually get really bad snowstorms that include sleet, ice, etc. I was wondering how the Mini would do driving-wise in the weather, like if it would be too light and slide around constantly. I would not be able to put chains on the vehicle, so that would not be an option. Also, which Mini would be best for my climate? I realise that the Countryman would probably be great, since it's AWD, but what about the regular Minis?

Thanks for the help!!

-dimera190

Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM

I live in Minneapolis. Obviously, the cold weather package is a must. It's not a solid car in snow. The run-flats that you get with the S are not likely to get you around well. The good news, is that she's easy to push out of a snow bank. The bad news is that you'll have to drive smartly and likely invest in some regular snow tires and a tow rope. Of course this means that you may want to buy a spare tire and keep it in the back... which doesn't really fit with both back seats up.

I could get around on my run-flats in the Twin Cities, but it was not great, and I did get stuck a couple times.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Hi,
I am in New Hampshire and have gone through one winter with my MINI so far. I felt pretty secure in average snow conditions, but I admit that I struggled in a commute with 8" + on the road, and decided to stay home when bad storms were in the forecast. Because MINIs have such a wide stance, it feels more stable to me than my old Camry - and the manual transmission also helped me feel under control too.

I definately would not hesitate to buy a MINI for northern driving, but snow tires would probably be helpful if you are expecting lots of snow. Yeah, get the cold weather package - those toasty little seats are the BEST thing ever on a cold morning : )

Old 10-05-2011, 04:40 PM

We have a 2006 Mini, not the S, with regular tires (not the run flat kind) and I have driven it for 5 winters in FARGO NORTH DAKOTA! Lots of snow and cold here, brrrr, have never been stuck, but then again I'm not out when the snow is deeper than the clearance I have under the car. My Mini (she's a girl) is a good winter car, heater and defroster work well, so my advice is to go for it!