New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can a MINI be a reliable, high-mileage commuter car?
Yes, go for it!
83.33%
No, buy a boring Corolla and start to hate driving more than ever.
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for real world MINI owner statements...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Default Looking for real world MINI owner statements...

Let me start by saying I don't own a MINI, yet.

I recently took a job with an 82 mile commute, each way. So I'm spending about 3 hours a day in my car M-F. Currently I'm driving a '05 Subaru Forester with just under 100k miles on it. The car has been perfect, flawless, and I expect it will continue to be for some time. The problem is I'm only averaging 27mpg, which isn't bad for an AWD vehicle, but plenty of room for improvement.

So I've been looking for economical cars that can improve my mileage, and yet still be enjoyable enough to drive that I don't mind the 3 hours a day sitting in it so much. I'll say this, I'm a DRIVER, and I expect quote a bit more from my cars than the average person. I want decent handling, acceleration, and an engaging driving experience.

So I come to the MINIs, which I always though were cool anyway but could never justify buying before. Specifically, I'm looking at the Clubman models, with the standard non-turbo motor and manual transmission. I'd probably load it up with the rest of the comfort options just to help make the time spent in it as painless as possible.

What I'd like to hear is advice from actual owners about how they think a MINI is going to hold up to 42k miles a year worth of driving. I've read mixed reviews on the internet ranging from "Don't buy one, they are junk", to "Consumer Reports recommended small car". It seems there were some quality issues especially with early models that may have tainted the reliability scores, but also enough happy owners to make some of the good lists.

So I'm torn. I really like the MINI's driving experience (I test drove a 2003 model on a local used car lot). I fit in it, and seem comfortable enough doing so. I think the Clubman gives me enough extra room to grocery shop and move my kids around if need be, and the mileage estimates are wonderful. I just want to know if these cute little cars are going to hold up and get me to work every day. Ideally, I'd like to see 200k miles out of one before buying the next one.

So lay it on me, what do you all think? Is this doable, or am I crazy?

Last edited by Caddywhompus; 06-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

I've not had any long term experience with the new mini . Wife has an 10 clubman and nearing 7k miles in 7 months of ownership. Neighbor has a first gen mini with 350K so the goal is definately achievable

Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bad venge
Neighbor has a first gen mini with 350K so the goal is definately achievable
That's impressive, especially since I read the worst gremlins shipped with the early models!

Has he had major repairs along they way? I don't mind the occasional little thing here and there (I drove K-cars for years), but major expenses like engines or transmissions...etc.? I'm just curious if it's still on the road out of love, and maybe a deep wallet, or was it that reliable to begin with?

Old 06-16-2010, 02:15 PM

you will get a lot of bias opinion on this poll.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:03 PM

I doesn't look like many people have an opinion?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 AM

Some Minis seem to like to go to the shop often. These cars seem to have more problems than average. I would avoid a Mini that is high mileage or out of warranty. I recently purchased a 2007 Mini Cooper S HB with 24,500 miles and so far so good, but I do not expect it to be mechanically perfect and I would not rely on it as a long distance every day commuter. When the warranty is used up the car will be immediatly traded. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Last edited by minifastbob; 06-27-2010 at 09:07 PM.