New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini in Distress

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Default Mini in Distress

Anyone have a 2005 S they've owned since brand new ?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Welcome to MINI Cooper Forums. We've owned our R53 for quite some time. What's wrong with yorus?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Default Mini S in distress

I have a list of things that have been found on my mini to fix. First thing is the 3rd rear brake light, gasket failed and when my mini was parked during all the rain Northern California had, the trunk area got flooded and my battery was sitting in 3" of water.
Then within a matter of days, the seats started to mold. I've never cleaned the seats since I've owned the car brand new. So to me it's just bacteria.
anyhow, the muffler collapsed while driving it to the body shop.
now it has oil pan leak and a leak on the manifold ?

I've always maintained my mini, but since the flood in rear, things have been a chain reaction. It's saddening cause now I don't know whether to dump money into it and keep, or just start over.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 AM

The water in the battery box is not uncommon and I have seen that more than a few times here on the forums. The exhaust does tend to crack right where the manifold meets the cat. Oil leaks are also pretty common. The R53 is a much more stout model vs. the newer R56 and now F56. For the water on your seats, I'd shampoo them aggressively and then suck the dry with a wet vac. Since they're molding, might be best to swap them out for different seats. You can pull out seats from a totaled MINI at a pull n' pay type yard.

Check out our free articles here: Pelican Parts - MINI Cooper Technical Articles.

They can help you with a lot of common issues that arise with the first gen MINI's. You can also check out our parts catalog for much cheaper pricing: 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback Parts and Accessories - PelicanParts.com. Please let me know if you have any questions as I'd be more than happy to help you bring your MINI back to life.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:44 AM

Thank you so much ! I really don't want to let my baby go.
The water in the battery compartment, how is that common ? Mini dealer told me it was due to the 3rd brake light gasket. Which puzzles me since it's under the spoiler/fin. And I'm hoping that no wiring or the amp in back seat were affected.
Is there a aftermarket muffler that can be done ? $1300 from mini dealer sounded like I was replacing a Bentley floor mat ! 😂
Attached is a partial list of things the dealer told me were wrong, which breaks my heart that I've always been diligent about having her serviced, and the mechanic didn't see these things.
[img]webkit-fake-url://50a65f0f-d393-45bc-8c57-3527b6b7547b/imagepng[/img]

Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM

Thank you so much ! I really don't want to let my baby go.
The water in the battery compartment, how is that common ? Mini dealer told me it was due to the 3rd brake light gasket. Which puzzles me since it's under the spoiler/fin. And I'm hoping that no wiring or the amp in back seat were affected.
Is there a aftermarket muffler that can be done ? $1300 from mini dealer sounded like I was replacing a Bentley floor mat ! 😂
Attached is a partial list of things the dealer told me were wrong, which breaks my heart that I've always been diligent about having her serviced, and the mechanic didn't see these things.
[img]webkit-fake-url://50a65f0f-d393-45bc-8c57-3527b6b7547b/imagepng[/img]

Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM

[img]webkit-fake-url://68c6f46d-9925-443e-b549-7f301ab57d5d/imagepng[/img]

Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Sorry, noticed my pics wouldn't attach.

Highest priority:
Thermostat $539
Exhaust $1371
Drive Belt $227

Other items in order of severity:
Front lower control arm Bushings $1276 and alignment $199.95
4 tires $1025
All power steering lines Return, supply and Pressure $495,$512,$995
Motor mount $495
Valve cover gasket $595
Oil Pan gasket $695

Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 AM

The 3rd brake light gasket is a common failure point on these MINI's, which results in the water in the battery box. There are many many threads out there where individuals have reported that seal failing and thus having water in that compartment. You can most certainly get an aftermarket muffler. You could upgrade or go back to stock. Is it just the muffler that is damaged and not the manifold or catalytic converter? I've posted the items for you below so you can see what your total will come to.

Highest priority (recommended by dealer):
I recommend using the Genuine MINI brand thermostat: 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Water Pump, Thermostat & Hoses - Page 1
DIY: MINI Cooper Radiator, Thermostat and Hose Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Exhaust - If just the muffler, REMUS performance exhaust - 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Performance Exhaust Upgrades - Page 1
DIY: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-how-to.html

Drive Belt: 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Engine Miscellaneous - Page 1
I would need the last 7 digits of your vin to confirm which belt you will need.
DIY: MINI Cooper Serpentine Belt Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Other items:

Front control arm bushings - a few options. I'd recommend the Madness control arm bushings here: 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Suspension, Shocks & Springs - Page 6. Why? Because they give you an improved feeling and will last longer than OEM replacement bushings. Otherwise, go here: 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Suspension, Shocks & Springs - Page 5 and scroll down to where it says "Bushing without Bracket for Control Arm (Front Lower Left or Right)."
DIY: MINI Cooper Control Arm Bushing and Ball Joint Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. Alignment can be done at an alignment shop for $80. The dealer charging $200 for an alignment is very expensive.

Tires: buy here: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html or go to your local Discount Tire. They have the best tire listings for the best price.

Power steering - there is a recall for the power steering pump and lines replacement. Did your MINI not qualify for this? I would double check and ask. Info on that is here: Mini recalls 86,000 hatchbacks, convertibles from 2002 to 2005 - Autoblog.

Otherwise, the suction and return line hoses are common leaking points in the system.

#11 is the return line HERE
#1 is the suction hose HERE
DIY: for the pump, but will help you gain access to the lines: MINI Cooper Power Steering Pump Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. These can also probably be replaced when you do the front control arm bushings.

What engine mount needs replacing? There are several. Mounts here: 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Engine Miscellaneous - Page 3
DIY: MINI Cooper Engine and Transmission Mount Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Valve cover gasket: 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Cylinder Head & Valvetrain - Page 1
DIY: MINI Cooper Valve Cover Gasket Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Oil pan gasket (scroll down a little): 2005 Mini Cooper S Hatchback - Oil Circulation - Page 2

I can put all of these items that are needed on a quote for you if that is easier. I'd also recommend, if you do not feel you can do these repairs yourself, to go here: Mini Cooper Repair Shops - Find a Mini Cooper Mechanic | MiniRepairShops and enter in your postal code. A local MINI indy repair shop will come up. Call them and get quotes for the work to be done. You can do it this way: 1. Order parts from us and have the shop install them or 2. have the shops give you full parts and labor quotes for each individual item you have listed or all together. Some things will be cheaper, labor wise, to do the repair at the same time while you have access to specific part.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Default She's back on the road

thank you for the list of parts to my mini... the leaking issue was taken care of, and another problem was found, the license plate lights on back hatch, one was broken and water was getting inside hatch. So that's done.
The muffler didn't need replacing, but a piece welded did the trick. A friend did it for me $95 ! Saved me a bunch of $$. Then the timing belt had been done 3 years ago by a shop, so I took it to them to repair.
next on the list is thermostat. Don't know where exactly the leak is coming from, but it's there.
thank you for your advice, this little car is my baby.