New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Wannabe in Coloroado

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Default Mini Wannabe in Coloroado

Hello!
I want to get rid of my pile-o-crap 1990 civic and get a mini cooper. But, I have a few considerations. Perhaps you can weigh in on them since you all drive mini's every day.

I love the classic mini's but they really will not be practical for me I think. So, I am looking at a 2002-2005 model, maybe and S hardtop.

Considerations:
1. I drive 90 miles roundtrip to work. 50% highway, 50% city
2. I live at 8200 ft in the mountains. I have a 200 yard steep dirt driveway. We get a lot of snow. I have ice/snow on my driveway 5 months a year.
3. I have two kids that I pickup on my way home 2 times a week. They are 1 and 2 yrs old.
4. I do a lot of projects and haul a lot of junk around.

Questions:
1. can I really expect to average 30mpg?
2. with studded snow tires, how does the mini do? I had a VW GTI, it couldn't get out of the driveway, to much power, it just spun out.
3. Is it possible to get 2 car seats in the back?
4. Can a mini pull a VERY small trailer that weighs maybe 300lbs and put maybe 4-500 lbs in the trailer once in a great while? Anybody out there every measured what MPG they get with a small trailer? I want to bring it to work at least 50% of the time.
5. I'm used to the repair bills (or lack thereof) on a honda. Am I going to hate myself for getting a Mini?

FYI - I like the countryman AWD, but I can't afford it. Have to get a used one for $7-9k.
Thanks!