New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.

New here, potential owner, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Default New here, potential owner, have questions

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am trying to learn more about these cars. I plan to test drive one this weekend. More than likely I will be looking at a normally aspirated model with a 6 speed automatic. Presently I am driving a diesel VW Beetle that I have owned for 8 years since new. I wished Mini had their diesel over here in the USA. Right now, I am in a wait and see game. Wondering what diesel prices are going to do for one. I am thinking of the upcoming Jetta Diesel. If diesel continues to rise even more above gasoline, I will rethink my strategy. I am curious of what kind of mileage the Mini's get on the highway with the 6 speed automatic? Of course with the Normally aspirated motor. Also, is this motor made in France by Peugeot/Citroen? I may even look at theClubman if it is more comfortable than the regular model. Also, does this car have a timing belt or chain? If belt, what are the intervals of changing it? Economy, comfort and reliability will be my factors in making my decision. I know I will be able to tell a lot when I test drive one. I am interested to find out what fuel economy people are getting on the highway with the normal motor. My Beetle is I own now is a manual transmission, but old age is catching up with me and I need an Automatic for the next car! I really do not need anything fast, because my play car is a V8 Mercedes. Look forward to learning more about these cars! Paul

Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Default RE: New here, potential owner, have questions

is this motor made in France by Peugeot/Citroen?
yep

oes this car have a timing belt or chain
chain

I may even look at the Clubman if it is more comfortable than the regular model
Exactly the same room in the front, just added rear room and an extra door.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM

i accidentally posted the same thing twice-sorry

Old 05-20-2008, 08:33 AM

I just got a 2008 clubman 10 days ago and i got about 31mpg from my first tank of gas. that was evenly split between city and hwy driving. mini posts 34-36 mpg hwy. i admit i drove somewhat faster and more agressivley than usual[its hard to resist]. i think its a great car-i am in love!