New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:02 AM
Default New Member

Hello everyone. I'm a new member and new to Mini's. I am not new to old LBC (little british cars) jut to new ones. Hence, the MOWOG moniker. For those inquiring minds that want to know, this is what MOWOG stands for, and it does relate to the original mini:
Found on engine blocks, transmissions, cylinder heads, and pistons, it dates back to the very origins of the British car industry. Before the merger with Morris Motors in 1935, Wolseley and MG were owned as the personal property of Lord Nuffield. After the merger with the bulk of design work carried out at Cowley, the identification number for chassis and engines on Wolseley was assigned a “W” and the letter “G” was assigned to MG (M was already assigned to Morris). Hence the use of Mo (Morris), Wo (Wolseley) and MG to mark the various components with MOWOG as the result. Although there are competing points of view, even the BMIHT has chimed in (with an answer that we believe to be incorrect) with a statement that the last G stands for Group. The fact that there never was a Morris-Wolseley Group tends to undermine that particular answer and since M could not be repeated for MG, the letter G makes the most plausible sense in the deconstruction of the word.
I am in the process of restoring a 1973 MGB GT. I own a 2005 Neon SRT-4, a 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i and a 2007 Honda Element EX AWD and soon a 2011 Mini Countryman S ALL4.
I live in Salt Lake City, but I was born and raised in Detroit (I am a die hard Detroiter, so please be kind to my city. It's no where near as bad as the press says it is and thankfully it is making a great comeback).
I'm 68 yrs young and a soon to be retired pharmacist. I've been married 48 yrs come February, have 1 daughter, and 2 grandsons.
What else do you want to know?

Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the site, great to have a new member with such an advanced knowledge. Make sure to share some pictures of your stable with us, when you can.