New to Mini's Well versed in others - Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:35 AM

Smile New to Mini's Well versed in others

I am new to the mini crowd, admired them from a distance. Now I have an 11 clubman and belong to a club locally. It's taken off like wildfire. I see posts about how you cannot expect to get more than 250hp out of these engines. Why is that? From what I've seen there is a large following for these cars. I come from starting in putting 400hp out of 4cyl; Fiero's to knocking on 1000hp Buick v6 turbo. In my opinion, if you can loc ring the head, port the intake and exhaust, add larger injectors, exhaust, intake cold air kit, put in more boost then why can't you get say 450hp out of these engines? I'm now looking for an earlier mini to turn into a project race car to blow the doors off some locals soon enough....LOL
Old 04-15-2018, 03:47 AM

Smile Mini Power Potential?

I am new to the mini crowd, admired them from a distance. Now I have an 11 clubman and belong to a club locally. It's taken off like wildfire. I see posts about how you cannot expect to get more than 250hp out of these engines. Why is that? From what I've seen there is a large following for these cars. I come from starting in putting 400hp out of 4cyl; Fiero's out of high school to knocking on 1000hp Buick v6 turbo recently, to boosting my cummins diesel from 230 to 340hp. In my opinion, if you can loc ring the head, port the intake and exhaust, add larger injectors, exhaust, intake cold air kit, put in more boost then why can't you get say 450hp out of these engines? I know there are many other details to delve into here like getting the right custom tune to follow the V.E. etc.., I'm just fishing for some foundation on these mini's. I'm now looking for an earlier mini to turn into a project race car to blow the doors off some locals soon enough....LOL