New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 08:25 PM
Default New owner questions.

So. I got a 2008 non-s hatchback. 97k, very clean, 6s, leather seats, sunroof, and too much technology to list.

I have several predictable questions, hopefully easy ones.

Preferred undercoating? The critter is remarkably clean for the salt belt, and I would like it to stay that way. She's going to get a LOT of mileage.

Haynes makes reference to an 'engine undershield' which I take to be essentially a bash plate for the pan, clutch slave, steering pump, and all the other affordable things to hit.
T'aint there, and RealOEM doesn't show it. I'd much rather have a bash guard if it exists, and if that's what the unused mounting holes are for. Is there such an animal? Which models used it?

Shifting is slow and deliberate. Does anyone lube the shift cables? Or just replace them?

I see references to valve cover gaskets leaking, so I'll replace that and see if the seep goes away.

The owner's manual makes reference to a number of functionalities in the software that I cannot find in the menus. Setting the number of turn signal flashes for instance. Were these sold with different software environments? Is there an upgrade?

will any of the 'S' parts bolt up? Particularly the suspension and steering bits? RealOEM implies that the S and non-S are completely doffeeent platforms and I find that unlikely.

I got this initially for the mileage. Most other micro compacts are essentially a gerbil wheel wrapped in foil. This isn't, and i like it a lot more than I expected to.

RM