New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non MINI member (In search for my perfect Actual Size)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Default Non MINI member (In search for my perfect Actual Size)

Hello MCF! I've waiting long enough. Ever since the introduction of the new MINI, the car brand has caught my eye. I love both older and newer models (Mini and MINI). Ever since the reintroduction, I've been wanting one. It wasn't until a few months ago that I made the decision that I MUST own one. I attended the MINI Challenging Porsche at Road Atlanta (as I live about 15 miles down the road). That was the nail in coffin. Though MINI didn't prevail, it put up a damn good fight and I was sold. Here's my bio.

I've lived in Georgia all my life. I'm 25 and I work in the SatCom/Networking field. I'm currently in Afghanistan where I'll be for a year. I am not in the military but the company I work for has gov't contracts. I currently own and drive a Mazdaspeed Protege (when I'm stateside) and have been a Mazda guy for some years now. I also own a 1987 Dodge Colt Vista wagon that was my grandmothers. She purchased it to tote me around as a little squat and when she passed a few years back, it was given to me. It barely runs now even though it barely has 101k org. miles on the clock. It's a constant work in progress.

Upon my return, I look to buy a barely used (like 2009-2011) MINI Cooper JCW. I want only the best. In my mind, the only acceptable color of MINI is BRG but that's an opinion and I know that opinions are like ********.

I'm here currently to get some reviews, ideas, concerns, and things to watch out for before I purchase my little sport hatch.

That being said, what should I look out for when purchasing a 2009-present JCW? Are there faults from the factory that should be replaced or at least looked out for? The reason I ask is because when I bought my Mazdaspeed Protege, no one told me that you couldn't turn the boost past 10 psi (stock being 6) without needing to get a fully built engine. They also didn't mention that the LSD was made out of glass (it's not but you get the picture).

So thank you all for having me and here's to a long relationship in the MINI culture. I'm definitely an enthusiast and I rock my "MINI >Porsche" shirt that I got from the event all over the place, even though I don't own one. If money and time permits, I fully intend on purchasing an old Mini as a project.

Last edited by TheDirtyGoatee; 07-31-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 PM

By all means don't everybody jump on this thread at one time.

Seriously guys, just looking for some info and perhaps a group folks in my area for when I return from the warzone.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

It's like any other used car purchase , buyer beware no telling what she's been but thru before you bought it. Of course the new one would be yours and yours alone.
As for faults I've not heard many troubles but there are not many that have been totally molested to high levels and daily driven

Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 AM

Good to know. Yeah, I've made the mistake of trusting the dealer on a used vehicle and I'm still paying for it currently which is why I'm jumping ship to MINI, well that and MINI's are just badass.

So how to navigate these forums? I've been on forums identical to this one but one thing I can't seem to find is a "choose your state" section where you can meet and greet other owners in your area. Is there a section like that an I am just missing it?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYmNMinmBt0

This is actually the video I took at the MINI v. Porsche event. There were a total of 5 races if I recall correctly. This was number one.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

This forum has no local area ...
I know there is a middle georgia mini club , google georgia mini club and see if theres one closer or ask at the dealer mine gives three mini club brochures when they sell you one

Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 AM

Nice! I appreciate the tip.

Are you some mod on here or something? Is there any plans to expand this site to include something like that?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a mod and the admins not around much and I havenot heard any expansion plans

Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Wow... sounds like I came right on time huh? I'm a pretty active member on my worldwide Mazda forum and I was trying to find one much the same for the MINI. I'll stick around and check the site out more.