New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other 2005 MCS problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Default Other 2005 MCS problems

Hello, I recently joined because I need to get the opinion of others. My 2005 MCS has had many problems. To give you a rundown:

-Cracked windshield (within 3 months of purchase (replaced by dealer))
- Broken right side motor mount (replaced under warranty however, I did not know it was broken for many months )
-Thermostat problem (significant over heating also replaced by warranty)
-Mushroomed strut towers (both sides). Have not hit anything significant but replaced the right side because it was bent and was throwing off my alignment.
-New flywheel because the 'dual stage' one was cracked and sounded like a chopper when the car was in neutral. Could this have happened from the broken motor mount?
-New brake reaction bushings (warranty covered but had to pay for the labor )
-New clutch (only 67,000 miles) and as a result of needing a new flywheel (I wanted to replace myself however, since my extended warranty through the credit union was paying, the mini dealer would not put the old clutch back in)

Now my question is this: my extended warranty that I bought through a credit union expires next year (6 years or 110,000 mi it pays for almost everything on the car accept labor rates above the national ave of $115). Should I sell the car because of the idea that something major might happen in the future when I won't have the warranty? Now I have noticed while doing my own maintenance that parts for this car are somewhat more expensive. I have 2 factory manuals for this car and have the garage space and all of the tools to get the job done. I was wondering if this car is going to nickel and dime me to death for part failures that are happening prematurely. I understand factory recalls but this car should not need this much work with only 67,000 miles.

I love the fact that I get between 28/32 mpg when driving the car, and it's extremely fun while driving. However, the idea that something major like the flywheel cracking again just makes my wallet cringe. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

How did you get a cracked windsheild covered ?
Most of the normal problems you have listed are known troubles
Motor mounts were problems , thermostat housing is the same, mushroomed struts are common I'd recomend a set of strut defenders mine are perfect
Brake bushing are common I'd have replaced them with the detroit tuned metal ones
Flywheel is new to me , unsure about the clutch depends on your driving ...

That being said you have three options :
get rid of the car
buy a new one
buy another extended warranty with better coverage