New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.

Too many red flags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Exclamation Too many red flags?

Hi all. I'm considering an '07 S convertible (76K miles) at a local dealership. Their maintenance log when they inspected it includes a note saying "needs exhaust work". Any idea what that could indicate? What factors contribute to needing "exhaust work"?

Also, there's a small crack in the front bumper (plastic) and it looks like the metal plate it connects to is pushed in about 1/4" at that point. Looks like the driver might have bumped into a post or something.

There's a dime-sized chip in the windshield, minor visible damage to the leather on the driver's seat, and there's a thin silver "tray"-like thingy inside the engine (looks kinda like what you bake a turkey in) that has one corner bent.

I realize that most of this seems minor on the surface, but I'm wondering if, as a whole, it indicates a previous owner who didn't take very good care of his car.

Obviously I have no way of knowing if he used regular gas instead of premium, or regular oil instead of synthetic......

Am I seeing too many red flags? Or is this just an opportunity to talk the dealer down significantly on the price?

I appreciate any and all timely responses. Thanks!!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM

UPDATE: Didn't buy the '07 convertible. Decided to just keep looking. Found an '05 hardtop (base, not S) last weekend and bought it.

Lovin' driving it!!!