New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.

Very Disappointed with my Mini's Fit & Finish

Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Thumbs down Very Disappointed with my Mini's Fit & Finish

WTF? Just got my 2009 JCW Clubman two weeks ago and am appalled at the cheap crap they pass off as "fit and finish." Everything is plastic and rattles like crazy. The "Carbon Fibre" details are cheap contact paper that is already beginning to come off of the Gas Cap and the Dashboard. The "John Cooper Works" badges look like they will fall off soon if someone does not pull them off. As I was getting out of my car my pant leg caught the corner of the John Cooper Works emblazened door liner and detached it and bent it back and it was obviously glued on with some cheap rubber cement and there with no intention of it being a permanent seal. I am effing pissed off - just glad it is under warranty for another two and a half years. It is a blast to drive but come on, this is ridiculous! I don't even have it registered yet and this crap is happening. VERY disappointed.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Default Big surprise - no replies . . .

I blame the dealer for the shoddy workmanship and the lack of attention to detail. It seems the JCW comes from the factory without the badging and other details and it is up to the local dealer to make sure there is a follow through with quality. Whatever.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Yikes; that's awful! And to think they charge extra for the JCW stuff, you'd think it would be well done. Have you thought of bringing it back and demanding satisfaction--or another car?

Last edited by JMBL; 08-30-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: re-read post and thought it was too strong.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Default All is good!

I apologize for the tone of my original post - this is a wonderful car. I have an appointment with the Mini dealer and they have made me feel very comfortable with the attention they are giving me. You buy a highly regarded product and it is hard not to get a little cranky when there are details that were obviously over looked. That is what bothers me - someone involved in the process saw that there were some quality control issues and just decided "oh, that's good enough I guess." That is shameful in any situation.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Well an 09 you just bought .... Was it used ? certified preowned ? whats the deal ?

All the issues you mention sound like cosmetics that were abuse from the previous owner

Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Default No abuse - it is "mint"

It was purchased from a collector. Barely 10,000 miles - no abuse. Certified Preowned and I still have two and half years on the warranty. Just crappy workmanship that you don't pick up on immediately - only after owning it a few days. The "carbon fibre" details on the dashboard and the fuel cap that could have looked authentic if whoever had done the work took their time. And the JCW floor runners not properly attached as well as the JCW badges that wobble because they are not attached securely. I am personally taking an interest in seeing the dealer follows through, believe me.