New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you look for in a salesperson

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Default What do you look for in a salesperson

Hi all... Starting the beginning of December I will be selling for MINI at BMW Motorwerks out of Bloomington, MN. I wanted to introduce myself to the community and find out as much knowledge as I can. Furthermore, I am curious to know what you all look for in a MINI Sales rep. What makes a good salesman and representative of the MINI brand? What are things you like? and things you don't like? in your past experiences when buying MINI brand vehicles.

Cheers,

CN-MINI

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Default "These are a few of my favorite things"

IMHO, being a good sales person is not all that difficult. Here's a few things that I look for in a good sales person'
1) PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE-- know the product, study the technical details, anticipate the questions that will most often be asked.
2) Be HONEST--Tell the truth at all times. Don't twist your answers to mislead the buyer. If you don't know an answer to a question, say so, then go find it. Be sure there are no surprises for the buyer during or after the sale. Just because they don't ask the 'right" question doesn't mean you should not inform them.
3) BE YOURSELF-- don't put on a front, be friendly and most important, don't try to be someone you're not. Buyers will see right through a false front every time.
4) DON"T TRY TO SELL THE BUYER THE WRONG CAR--take time to learn what the buyer really wants and steer them to the "right" car. Buying a new car is an emotional experience and the thrill of buying a new car will soon be over taken by the bitter taste of buying the WRONG car.
5) During the TEST DRIVE-- take the car down some typical roads to show the buyer the actual "ride quality" they will experience during the time they own the car. When we bought our MINI we were taken down some very rough/bumpy roads by our excellent sales person. After that, there were no ride surprises after we left the dealership.
6) BE sure the new owner KNOWS THE DEALERSHIP-- where do they go for parts, service, etc. Don't just tell them, SHOW them!

Well, that's just a few ideas based on many years in Marketing with a top 100 company and my part-time job/hobby at Best Buy for 5 years after I retired. Hope these few simple ideas help you as you begin your new career.
Regards, Ron

Last edited by RSchleder; 11-22-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:34 PM

I appreciate the honest answer RSchleder. I am not new to car sales but am new to the brand. I agree with all of your points that you stated. I look forward to helping others enjoy the experience of a MINI.